Sunday, December 1, 2013

diy urchin...


Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving break and are rested up and ready for
December!!! I've been running around decorating and un-decorating, I had a vague plan and
 it wasn't coming together at all. It doesn't help that every year when I take out my Christmas
boxes it feels like my taste has changed...yet again, and I'm less than thrilled with what I have
to work with. These little diy urchins were super easy, inexpensive, and gave me something
fresh and modern to add to the mix, I may have gone over board. :)
 Here's a sneak peek at my mantle and the simple diy... 


Styrofoam Ball
Straws
Gold Spray Paint 


Trim the straws to your desired lengths and insert into the styrofoam, then
spray paint. If you'd like your urchin to sit flat just cut your styrofoam ball in half.  
That is it!


Stop by on Wednesday to see how it came together. :)  I'll be sharing my Christmas
 mantle and bookcase decor at the Holiday Cheer Party.
You can check out last year's mantel here.

Be sure to check in tomorrow for the announcement of the lucky
Lulu & Georgia $100 Giftcard winner.


20 comments:

Santi said...

Lovely tutorial! SO NICE! love it!
Visit my blog too: santiroyalhome.blogspot.com
Santi

Unknown said...

I have the same feeling when I open my box of decorations each year… :( I do love the sentimental things, but find it hard to mix it up with out buying all new decorations. This is perfect because you can use them year round. Hope your Thanksgiving was fab!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Cute idea! Where are you spray painting? It's too cold outside.

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Cute! I have the same feeling about not wanting to use much of what I already have this year. I have a blank spot on the mantle that I can't find the right accessory for, and I think this might just be it! I have all of those supplies and can't wait to try one, or better yet get my kids started on sticking in all of those skewers!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Oops, I skipped by the supply photo too fast....you used straws! Smart!

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

Love gold urchins and that's been on my list to make. Love yours!

Cassie Bustamante said...

LOVE it! such a cool statement piece!

Unknown said...

Now that's the last straw! You are too clever! Love their fun modern vibe. Thanks for sharing.

Lori

Kim said...

Love the cuteness here!! Can't wait to see how you work'em up!! xo

Peggy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peggy said...

I love the gold urchins! I can hardly wait to see the finished rooms! Have a wonderful day!

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

I'm right there with you on not long so many of the holiday decorations that I couldn't live without several years ago! Your urchin is super cute and easy - love that!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

How fun! Amazing that they are made out of straws and styrofoam! I am sure you will pull it all together….you always do!

Vel Criste said...

Can't believe they were straws?!!!!!!Spray paint is magical this time of year and I love this simple project of yours! Can't wait to see the rest of your house Pam!!!

Run To Radiance said...

This is brilliant! What CAN'T gold spray paint do? Awesome idea!

Unknown said...

Finally! A DIY even I can master!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Very clever and simple...

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

I like the sneak peak!! ANd the urchin's are amazing! Can't wait to see the entire mantle. You are such a fab DIYer

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Very cute... love the little peek of your mantel!

Dwellings by DeVore said...

I feel that way about my Christmas decor every year. Love these little urchins! I just did a tree topper with styrofoam and skewers :)

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover