Monday, December 9, 2013

fifth avenue style, a perfect gift, a tour...


Awhile back, I had the pleasure of receiving Fifth Avenue Style, a stunningly
 beautiful book by Howard Slatkin. I intended to while away an evening pouring over the
lavish details, and then give you all a review. However, a friend was over when I
 opened it and ended up borrowing it for a month few days. She brought it back last week,
 and the timing was perfect, given our sub zero temps reading was the activity of choice!  :)

Before I get to the review, one of my favorite gifts to give is a beautiful book,
(the kind one wouldn't buy for themselves) and a nice magnifying glass, they're 
available in a variety of price ranges and styles. I've seen a great selection at
Homegoods recently. The handsome one below (brass with leather wrapped handle
 is from Rejuvenation.)

The book arrived exquisitely wrapped.

If you're not familiar, Howard Slatkin is a renowned interior designer and co-founder of the
 lifestyle brand Slatin & Co. He takes you through his creative process, offering insight
 into his design decisions and inspiration for creating the beautiful interiors of his
 5th Avenue apartment. By meticulously layering architectural detail, gilded finishes,
 art, furniture and opulent accessories, he creates a beautiful home of wall-to-wall elegance.

With more than 275 lavish color photographs, his book showcases his trademark elegance.
I was absorbed by the ornate details of his home and the beautiful photography.
These were some of the stunning spaces I could analyze repeatedly... 








He has succeeded in creating both an artful and stunning apartment and book,
which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Be sure to stop by and check out 
The Twelve Days of Christmas Tour of Homes
Don't miss the beautiful tour with Lisa @ Shine Your Light today!!
and if you missed it
Day One - Jenny @ Evolution of Style 




12 comments:

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

Happy Holidays Pam! Love your book and magnifying glass gift idea.... beautiful!

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

I love the book and magnifying glass idea too. I sure would love to get that ;)

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

I love this gift idea, Pam! Books like this are something I never buy for myself - like you said :) - and I'd be thrilled to get something like this. Will definitely tuck this one away.

Cassie Bustamante said...

oh i love fun gifts i wouldn't splurge on for myself as gifts! they are fun and a luxury to me, so a perfect gift!

Thehouseofhampton said...

Hi Pam,
I've seen a few blog reviews on this book and it's on my wish list! It's hard for me not to devour the stunning photos you posted because I want to do just what you did. Wait for the perfect storm and enjoy for hours in front of a cozy fire with a cup of coffee. (I don't think I can hold off much longer).
Sharon

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

How fun to have a beautiful new book to pour over! Perfect with a cup of coffee on a cold winter's day!

Unknown said...

Thank you for letting me be that guilty friend. Even a month was not enough time to absorb all of the beautiful work in Mr. Slatkin's book. (Now I suppose you're going to want your tools back too!).

Have a special day today! Lori

therelishedroost said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
therelishedroost said...

Sorry my auto correct made me miss- spell some words!! I meant to say Howards Home is amazing not if amazing!!! "I will get the hang of typing some day!!!!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Exquisite designer and book!…Stay warm!!

A room with a view said...

Looking at the pics on feels transported back to another era with everything so ornate and gilded.

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

Such a great gift idea - I love all of the fun magnifying glasses cropping up everywhere!

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover