Wednesday, December 18, 2013

diy branch christmas tree...how to


I'd mentioned to a friend that I was on the look-out for a big branch to use as our
Christmas tree in case she happened to run across one in her travels. The next day I pulled
 into our driveway to find a perfect ten foot tree branch leaning against our house! As luck
 would have it my 'cute' friend spied a city worker with a truck full of branches he'd
 trimmed, she managed to strike up a conversation, talk him into cutting one the perfect
 size, and help her wrestle it into her car! I owe her BIG!  


Actually, it was *almost* perfect.
I had envisioned a more wispy, airy, tumbleweed look to our tree, and came up with the
simple solution to add additional branches to achieve the look. 

       BEFORE                                                   AFTER

 

1) Cut your main branch to the desired length, then plant in a bucket of kitty litter. The kitty litter is heavy enough to keep it in place, but still allow for a bit of adjusting to straighten. Make sure your bucket fits inside the pot/basket you'll be using to display it.

2)  I cut branches from shrubs in my yard to use as the filler - mine are 20 - 24" in length. Gather up a good pile. I didn't pay much attention to the diameter (we'll get to that). 






















3) Drill holes completely through the branch, at random spots throughout the length of the branch. Insert the smaller branches perpendicular to the main branch. I pushed them all the way through to the opposite side, extending an inch or so, you won't even notice once it's finished. Repeat, continuing to add branches until you get the desired fullness. If the diameter of a branch was too big I trimmed the end with pruners until it fit through the hole.

4)  I'm sorry I was a bad blogger and skipped a photo of the next step, which is optional, but I stood on a ladder and spray painted it white. I used about 4 - 5 cans of cheap ($1) white spray paint, following the instructions for time between coats.  That's it!




I did this similar branch tree last year, which was super easy, no drilling, just plop your branches in a bucket.  

Don't forget we're at the end of the 12 Days of Christmas Tour of Homes. 
Yesterday my friend, Andrea @ Oak Ridge Revival, was shared her beautiful home, she also shares my Craigslist and thrifting addiction, and has a fun idea for trees for her kiddos. 

If you missed it here's a peek, click here to check out her home. 



Day 12 - Today is Stacey @  Steward of Design here's a preview of her awesome mantel she shared a couple weeks ago, I'm anxious to see what else she's been up to. Go here to check it out.




20 comments:

The enchanted home said...

Everything is looking so festive and gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Such a cool idea!!! The only thing missing is the pine smell, but that is easily remedied! The tree looks fantastic of course and your have the nicest friends….

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

You know I love this tree. Genius that you added extra branches. It's such a great look!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I so love that tree!!! It is perfect in the room!

Cassie Bustamante said...

love it! so fun and easy and doesn't shed needles. :) there's a story there by the way about our tree this year being abad one and dying and we had o go get a replacement yesterday.... even though we cut ours from a tree farm!!! ugh.
also love andrea's home and LOVE her plaid banner!

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

Pinning this for next year - I love the look of it. P.S. your friend is a keeper!

Vel Criste said...

That's why the tree looked so full! I thought you found a small tree/ plant that had all the branches already! your just amazing Pam! Iove both trees but this one is just magical because of how big it is! Just enchanting!

Dana Frieling said...

Good friends always have your back, even when it comes to talking to trash men. ha! Love that you augmented your tree, aka bigger branches. Maybe I should start referring to you as the plastic surgeon of trees. (that was bad, right?) ;)

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Wow! I can't believe you DIYed that tree! I though you just found an extra-rambly branch! I love how full it is! What a great friend...what else can you mention you're on the lookout for? :)

therelishedroost said...

That looks like so much fun, very festive- great job!!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Your friend is the best - that is so funny that she got the DPW guy to cut her a "tree" for you! And you are so creative, the tree looks fabulous all Pam-ified!! So fun and different!

decordelirium said...

I love it Pam. It is so whimsical and elegant. I am glad I am not the only one who has friends and family out on the hunt for things like this!
xo
Jennifer@decoratingdelirium.com

A room with a view said...

Gosh, you really worked hard at this, Pam. I could not tell that you have fillers in that tree. It looks great.

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Once again, Pam, you have "wowed" me with your brilliant vision. This tree looks amazing! I would love to copy this idea some time. I am pinning!

Warmly, MIchelle

Dwellings by DeVore said...

What a great friend! I also love the whimsical look of your tree!

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

So when are you going to post your address so that we can all move to your neighborhood? Seriously, you have the best friends and find the best stuff on the curb! Not to mention your great style! I love your creativity!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Happy new year Pam! love your blog! What is the wall color of your post when your display arhaus-inspired-weathered-table? Thanks, keep up the great blog...you inspire me every morning! Jane

Unknown said...

Love your blog Pam! Would you please tell me the color of your armoire? It's beautiful.

pam {simple details} said...

Hi Joy - The armoire is Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - French Linen with a clear wax. Thanks so much for your kind words and reading! :)

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover