Tuesday, January 21, 2014

our mantel...get the layered look

I've had our Christmas decor down for a few weeks and everything is slowly
 coming back together. Today I styled our mantel with my sweet friend
she's having another awesome Blue & White Bash that I'm excited to join, don't miss the
beautiful inspiration on February 3rd!


I' thought I'd share how I went about creating this layered, collected look
 I was in the mood for.


 Choose a large mirror (mine is 32") as your background, then layer a smaller
mirror (mine is 27"), empty frame or piece of artwork in front.


Now move to the center, I like a nice sized vase, pot or urn
Fill it with something textural from nature (twigs, greenery, branches, flowers) I just
take a walk around my yard with my pruners.
Oh, this is just perfect - I'm right this second noticing my vase should be taller!
 Do you see how it would look better if it weren't the same height as the books to the left.
 (I could easily put a couple books under it, or replace the taller books with shorter ones). 
What's that quote? Do as I say, not as  I do - vary heights!! 

That reminds me of another TIP:
 Take a photo, it's much easier to see what looks out of place! :)


Books are one of my favorite ways to add color and as a base to vary the height of
accessories. Estate sales are a great source to buy them, 
(no one wants to move a load of books, and they'll practically give them away).

From the center I work to the left and then right balancing accessories,
including opposing elements gives it interest. Some examples I've used here: 

smooth, rough = porcelain, concrete 
traditional, modern = ginger jar & black and white artwork
traditional, modern = ornate mirror & round mirror 
formal, casual = boxwood & branches
formal, casual = gold peacock & concrete sphere 

shiny, matte ~ round, square ~ curved, straight
You get it.


Look around your home, think of using items in a new way,
bring in garden elements, I went outside and grabbed my DIY concrete sphere out
of the dirt. 


And then keep tweaking until it feels like you! 


41 comments:

Andrea said...

I love this look. The blue is beautiful and the layered mirrors and art are perfect. I think I need to go restyle my mantle now.

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

Looks really really gorgeous! I want to redo my mantel molding too and I love your mantel!

~ rooms FOR rent ~ said...

I LOVE your layered look!! Fabulously done :) It came out so great ~Bre

The enchanted home said...

You styled it beautifully Pam! Love it.....

Dana Frieling said...

Your concrete sphere remains on my to do list! Great tips. Isn't it crazy how taking a picture can make you see things differently?

Cassie Bustamante said...

so perfect- i love the touch of blue!

Denise Greenwood said...

Great tips Pam!! I have a bare mantle that could use some attention. I have been staring at it for several days now not sure where to start...maybe today :)

Unknown said...

This looks great. We're alot alike in that we change it up so frequently! Love to keep it fresh, earthy, colorful and textural! Have a great day Pam. Xo Nancy

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I love all your layers. I never remember to place a mirror in front of a mirror. I really like it.

Brandi said...

Your styling is just perfect. Love the changes you made!

Jennifer@ClassicStyleHome said...

It looks so pretty! I love all of the layers. I restyled my mantel once I took my Christmas decorations down as well. I just needed something fresher. I love your blue books! I will definitely be on the lookout for a few since my great room has quite a bit of blue in it.

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Great tips! I'm still sorry that I got rid of a pair of birds just like that!

My Notting Hill said...

Love it! The sphere is perfect.

Leslie said...

The mantle looks great Pam! It's not as easy as one my think:)

Robin Johnson said...

I've been slow moving on filling the house back up myself. Your mantel looks amazing. I love all the different elements you've used.

Calypso In The Country said...

Your mantel looks gorgeous Pam! I love the layers, the mix of textures and how you explained it all!
-Shelley

Vel Criste said...

You know how I love layering Pam and this is the perfect example of it! Love your vignette and the color palette you used too!!!!!!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love the blue, with the contemporary abstract black & white art and the bit of greenery. It looks so good…..I wish you could come and style my whole house! (I think I say that every time you do a post with any kind of vignette in it!) :)

therelishedroost said...

Looking good, just the right mix of color and texture!!

Dwellings by DeVore said...

I love the layered look and all the blue and white!

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

Your layering looks great and more importantly, YOU!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Love the layered look and all the elements you used are great!

Unknown said...

Luv the mantel's layered look. I am all about the texture... shiny matte, rough, smooth....

Simply Modern Home said...

Well done, Pam! What a beautiful, layered look!

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Beautiful! You are a layering master :)

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

GORGEOUS Pam...I love it!!

Improvement List said...

What great tips! And I love the finished result.

Unknown said...

Beautiful mantle and great styling tips! So much fun to bump into you at the bash!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

That is some top notch styling. Thanks for the tips too.

therelishedroost said...

Looks great, love the pop of blue with the organic details!

Tiffany Jones Interiors said...

Your mantle is beautiful! So happy to know about your blog! Happy Monday!

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

So pretty! And great tips!

Andrea said...

Absolutely beautiful!! It is so nice to meet you through The Pink Pagoda!

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mantel inspiration. Mine is in desperate need of a reboot, and blue and white would look great on it.

House@heart said...

Your mantel is beautiful, and thank you for how we should create nice looking arrangements!!
Ozana

kate@willowinteriors said...

Love this styled mantel! Your tips are fabulous! And now I've pinned your diy concrete sphere for once all this snow melts. Thanks for sharing!

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

awesome styling - love the books on mantle!!

The Tablescaper said...

Great mantel love it!

- The Tablescaper

Carrie said...

I love how your mantel turned out, Pam! And these tips are golden!! It makes me want to go style something. :)

mrs. V | Chez V said...

your interior monologue is priceless. great tip on using pictures to help. i always use pics to help me edit & style. helps my eye to truly *see* scale & proportion & perspective from multiple angles.

Splendid Market said...

a wonderful tutorial, I love your style.

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover