Wednesday, January 29, 2014

my craigslist tip and a friend...

After I showed you my Craigslist finds last week a few of you asked for my 
tips. Ask and you shall receive! But before we get to the tip I'm over at my friend
 Beth's @ design POST interiors today. She is the cutest mom to three little ones,
 a blogger, and interior designer - whew! I don't know how she does it, but she makes it
 look easy, calm and collected. I'm dishing about life in her fun series 'Take Two'. 
Don't miss
two crazy-good $5 Craigslist finds that I'm sharing here!!

I love her new Ikea shelves, her serious styling skills, and green thumb! 

My simple Craigslist tips:

1) Search: Furniture, Owner
(Our Craigslist is flooded with stores selling merchandise, I find the best deals from owners, so I only search that criteria)

2) Leave the 'Search' box BLANK  
Yes, you get EVERYTHING that is listed for sale under furniture, but...
Let's say you're searching for an ottoman and the seller lists it as a 'stool', it won't show up in
 your search. You're searching for an upholstered chair but the seller calls it a 'cloth chair'
 won't show up. The seller calls a collection of vintage furniture 'estate sale old stuff'  Get it?
WARNING: You may end up with awesome finds you don't need! :)

3) Choose Gallery
This displays the items as shown below, the most efficient way to quickly scroll through.  

4) MOST IMPORTANT TIP
Leave the Craigslist tab OPEN and refresh whenever you're on your computer, or
 every time you walk by (if you're addicted). That's how I keep up to date on the most
current listings.

Do you guys see that cool hexagon end table with marble top for $35,
so cool!  Someone in Denver go get it!!


Do you have any Craigslist tips - do tell!

Don't forget to stop by Beth's and check out my finds here!


21 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love reading your CL tips! The one about gallery that you told me about a while back changed my CL shopping experience, it is so much better than just scrolling through the text ads and having to click on each and every one to see a photo. I can't wait to implement these tips today as I have been stalking CL for 6 side chairs and know something fabulous is to be found. But you are so right on the search criteria, everyone titles items differently and it would be easy to miss something good by having too specific of a search. THANK YOU PAM!

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

Awesome tips! I pretty much do that already but I never left the search box empty. Have to do that from now on ;)

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I definitely do it differently. Love those shelves and the styling.

Cassie Bustamante said...

these are great tips!!! our craigslist isn't very big so it's not hard to search, but i used to search dc all the time and this is perfect for that!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Great tips Pam…never thought to do the searches in that way…Thanks so much!!..and I spy a very healthy fiddle leaf fig!...

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Those are my favorite tips, too. I'm itching for a good CL find...haven't had one in a while!

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

Thanks for the great tips. Now tell us how you find that good stuff on the side of the street!!!

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

Love the tips - you are the Craigslist master! I think where I go wrong is that I'm always looking for something specific using the search box. I'm going to change my ways and see how it goes!

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

I don't know if I should thank you for motivating me to become addicted to Craigslist or not?? And you are funny...calling me calm and collected :) Thanks again for sharing over at my place today!

Bethany Wellman said...

Awesome tip! I never even noticed there was an "owner" and "dealer" option at the top.

Karena said...

Pam thank you so much for the tips! You're the best!

xoxo
Karena
2014 Artists Series

Dwellings by DeVore said...

great tips! You always find great deals!

Simply LKJ said...

Fantastic tips! Thanks for sharing!!

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

will have to try the gallery view -- thanks for the great tips!

Christine @ Suburban Charm said...

Great tips! I just found a beautiful queen size mahogany bed for my son on Craig's List and it was not listed under "bed" or "headboard" so I agree with leaving the search box blank!

Love your blog...I am a new follower!
Christine

http://suburban-charm.blogspot.com/

Simply Modern Home said...

I had no idea you could do a gallery view. Fantastic tip!!! Thanks!

Tiffany said...

Great tips! I'm going to CL right now to leave the search box empty;)

Sew a Fine Seam said...

great tips! thanks so much Pam!

Vel Criste said...

Great tips Pam! I learned the Gallery tip from you before!

Unknown said...

Thanks- definitely going to try the gallery view! I also will search by certain style/store names to see what will randomly pop up. Like pottery barn, ikea, etc. Have found some great finds that way too.

Just the Right Size said...

I use all of these tips on CL too. A few other things I do are to search for topics that I think are trending in design, like "chrome", "brass", "wicker", "rattan", "leather", "chevron", "mid century", "retro", etc. You'd be surprised what comes up that you don't find through free-style browsing.

Another tip I have is to search, for example for "rattan", in the "For Sale" link versus through the "Furniture" postings. Sometimes people will post items for sale in the wrong place.

Also, don't forget to check out the "Free" listings too!

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover