Monday, October 13, 2014

diy pom poms to the rescue


We have this cozy chenille throw from Restoration Hardware that is buttery
 soft and a great heavy weight to snuggle under when it's chilly. But, it had
 a little drawback that bugged me, and after my first solution didn't work out so
 well I thought DIY pom poms added to the edge could be the answer.  


See all of those strands of yarn, they were always a tangled mess, it truly looked
 like someone sat there and intentionally knotted them together to annoy me!  
So, I cut them all off, and to my surprise it wasn't the prettiest look. I decided to
 give it one last chance and make whimsical, fluffy pom poms to disguise the
 butchered fringe look. 


I love it, the pom poms add the perfect playful accent and I'm all over the texture. 
I ended up with nine on each end, about 8" apart. 


I changed out the lamp and pillows for fall, (here was my summer look) but after I
 saw this post yesterday, I decided to go all out pom pom in honor of this stylish girl 
and bring up my favorite pom pom pillow that I originally made for our living room
 when I jumped on the radiant orchid trend.


Pom poms are so popular and super easy to make and customize the size,
 I used this tutorial from Pinterest.

Have you made any yet? 


21 comments:

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

I love the pom-pons. You have creative juices flowing and I'm thinking of all the things that I can use the pom-pon tutorial for! Thanks!

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

I love it. I always wanted a throw with pom poms like that but was too lazy to make them ;) I guess it's not too bad

Simply LKJ said...

Love that they are coming back in style. I remember making them as a young girl to attach to my ice skates.

Cassie Bustamante said...

love this! it's the season for pom poms! i loaned a friend my pom pom makers and texted her just yesterday to see if i could get them back (i loaned them to her oh in february.....). i need them! :)

Thehouseofhampton said...

YES! I have used them and what a dramatic difference they made. I used them on some chinoiserie fabric I had and made dinner napkins. I still love them, and use them.
Sharon

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love the big pom poms on the throw, how fun is that.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I vaguely recall a couple Christmas' ago, trying to make a pom pom ornament with the hand method, but my pom skills were lacking. I had blocked it out. However after seeing your throw I am completely smitten and clearly need to give it another go. I love how the throw came out and also your family room in it's jewel tones for fall! So pretty and the brass lamp is perfection too!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

I love the big pom poms..glad to see they are coming back! I also love your deer hanging on your book shelve...cute idea!

Robin Johnson said...

What a great solution, looks amazing. I have not made any pompoms yet and I'm wondering why? ? ?

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

I love the pomp poms! What a clever way to solve the fringe problem!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love the added pom poms. Yes, I hate when the fringe gets all tangled up. Good solution.

Dana Frieling said...

I kinda feel like doing a cheer! ;)

Anonymous said...

Very cute - I like much better than the fringe. I would love to try making some if I can get the courage.

inspiredyetagain said...

Cool! The pom poms add a bit of funky (good funky of course) to the space. I like the framed antelope head, your pretty pillow, and your cute kitty too.

Mary said...

Recently I made a pillow out of burlap. I stenciled a brown Thistle on it with craft paint. But it still looks kinda blah. I'm now thinking it might need some pom poms. Thanks for the idea!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Great solution!!!...and it is so very pretty too!!!...I used to love to make yarn pom poms years ago...

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

It looks so so good!!! As do your pics and stellar styling!! You are so talented, my friend! xo

Crazy Wonderful said...

My mom had a similar throw and I sat there for hours one day trying to untangle the mess. I still don't understand how they get THAT knotted up?? Those big 'ol pompoms are a perfect solution!

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

I have totally been bugged by the fringe on throws that gets all knotted up so consider me part of the club. Love this solution and especially love that you made them oversized - your room is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

I love your solution and the amped up visual texture! You're the best! That ikat pillow in the mix is wonderful as are those brass lamps! XoxNancy

Dwellings by DeVore said...

I love the pom poms! That blanket looks so cozy and perfect for fall!

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover