Thursday, July 26, 2012

denver botanic gardens


Yesterday I spent the morning strolling through the Denver Botanic Gardens
 with my bff, we both grew up here, but she had never been.
 It was a free day, (see end of post for upcoming free days)
so we arrived when it opened at 9am,
 hoping to beat the crowd and the heat...our plan worked!

  
I couldn't have staged it better, a Denverite donning cowboy boots in the summer!


The gardens are just east of downtown and several high rises surround the area.


We loved this amazing path - that's some cool texture!





These camo-like trees are Lacebark Pines.
(Looks like a creative diy type went a little overboard with some paint.)


This bank of white blossoms was a favorite of mine,
but we couldn't find any identification - does anyone know what it is? 


Here's a closeup.


The Japanese Garden's meticulously manicured grounds were refreshing
 after the more carefree  and unstructured plantings. 


 We stopped to chat with this gardener, she was trimming the shrubs to keep with a traditional
mounded shape, reminiscent of boulders, versus a round or muffin top shape.  




A fun stop was a 'Haiku Tree,' passersby were encouraged to jot down a Haiku and
attach it to the potted tree.





Browsing at The Shop on the way out was a nice escape from the heat.



Necklaces and earrings hung from an old window frame and chandelier.
  

The light silk and chiffon scarves caught our attention and
we thought these bright felted bags would add a cute punch to a winter outfit.


Does your city have a Botanic Garden?
 It's always on my list when vacationing in a new city.

Denver Botanic Garden 2012 Free Days
Tuesday, August 28th
Monday, October 1st
Also, free parking in the garage.


A perfect summer evening....a picnic while attending one of their Summer Concerts.
http://www.botanicgardens.org/index

Have the BEST weekend, sweet friends!






18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a treat. It is gorgeous. I like the lace bark pines, I haven't seen those before. It is interesting to see some of the same plants as I have in my own garden, yet here they are further on and blooming, while mine are still thinking about it.

Luci @Bungalow At Home said...

What a great way to spend time with a friend. I haven't done that in a really long time but you made me want to!

ECKDesign said...

NICE! =o) Share with us your haiku! ;oP

Unknown said...

I love this garden tour. I feel like I went there! Thanks for sharing it. I love a good gift shop :)
Have a great weekend, Pam!
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Stacy CUrran said...

That looks like a great day! SO beautiful!!
Stacy

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Love these kind of days. Nothing better than spending time with friends

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

Love the Haiku tree. What a simple and sweet idea. Your friend sure looked cute in her cowboy boots!

Dana Frieling said...

So pretty. Maybe they'd hire you as a consultant with your green thumb and all!

Holly Gruszka said...

How beautiful! I was just talking to a guy in my office this morning about the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. I've never been there but I'd to go sometimes when I'm in NY. We have the Morris Arboretum not far from us and it's beautiful - actually just passed it this morning. They do picnics, concerts, and in the winter they do a Garden Railway with the model trains all decked out for Christmas. Looks like you had a nice day there. Enjoy your weekend Pam!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

What a lovely way to spend a few hours! And I love that path too. I'd love to recreate that but I think my patience level isn't quite high enough!!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Loved your garden tour. I was there several years ago and it was fun to see photos again. Those white flowers are beautiful. I don't know what they are.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

What a lovely way to spend the day! Looks like a beautiful garden. Hope you are off doing something fun this weekend!

Amber B (Simple Dwellings) said...

What a beautiful botanical garden! It looked so calm and peaceful there. Sounds like a great way to spend the morning. Happy weekend, Pam! :)

Nat said...

Wow gorgeous! I keep meaning to go to the botanical gardens near us but I never do, I think you've just inspired me!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Oh my! What beautiful inspiration. You've reminded me to visit the one in my city. I've never been!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Absolutely stunning! I love that stone path also. What a treasure for your city!

A room with a view said...

Looks like you had gorgeous weather! Everything looks so pretty and peaceful - would love some of that right now. We have the Botanial Garden next to the Bronx Zoo - visited the zoo frequently but have yet to set foot in the garden.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Well, those gardens will certainly be on my list the next time i visit...i am so partial to the japanese gardens....gorgeous....I live near the beautiful Duke Gardens located near Duke University in Durham NC....beautiful gardens!

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover