Wednesday, January 30, 2013

the key to displaying a collection...

A collection can make a stunning statement, or not so much!
The key to keeping them from crossing the line between
 a treasured collection of special pieces, and a bunch of cluttered tchotchkes
is a simple one...

'group it together' 

Easy DIY - Paint thrift store vases to create this look.

century furniture
confettistyle.wordpress.com
habituallychic.com
I have a love affair with Blue Willow pattern dishes.  I can blame it on a dear friend- who let me play with a child's size set of Blue Willow when our family first moved to PEI in 1973.  When I spy a piece at a yard sale or flea market I am drawn to it like a moth to a flame.  I hope to display my dishes like this at some point...
1.bp.blogspot.com
Wow! Wall of plates!
apartment therapy.com
thedecorologist.com
Pinterest via JannekeH Kids Inspiration
detail-Glass-pane doors are open  7 of 31  Bright Blue        Glass-front cabinets create a gorgeous look. To give the style a new look, paint the interiors of your cabinets a bold hue (it doesn't have to be blue but whatever YOUR color is). Consider coordinating the color with the dishes displayed in the cabinet for a cohesive and chic look.

bhg.com

Even the smallest collection benefits from being grouped together.

Collection of vases - pretty styling!
bhg.com

I'm not much of a collector, other than my painted Goodwill vases here,
not sure that qualifies as a special treasured collection,
but those photos have me reconsidering.

How about you, do you have a special collection?


21 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok I'm on Pin Overload with this post lol - what fabulous photos - that mantel is incredible!!!
Gotta run and pin now :)
Thanks so much for sharing!
Hugs,
Suzan

Anonymous said...

I just adore the vase collection, love the colors and shapes! I have a collection of pitcher's, mostly from places I visit on vacation.. I can almost always find a pottery in those small towns.. - Susan

Dana Frieling said...

I had to do a double take and realized the frame picture isn't really frames. What a clever idea!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

That gray wall with the white plates...yes please! Great ideas! Caleb is LOVING the airplanes!

Unknown said...

I have a couple of collections by default as they were my Mom's and passed on to me, copper vessels and Polish pottery. Your advice and visuals for displaying is dead on and exactly what I share with my clients who have collections.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

No collections here. I looked at your mantel and built-ins from last spring and I like the way you displayed them. They are "grouped", just not in a mass! What I think is not attractive is when the collection is scattered through out the home.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

So many great examples of how to showcase a collection...loved them all..that mantel certainly made a gorgeous statement!

Lori said...

Love the gray wall and those airplanes! All pretty collections but I'm always thinking about the dusting involved!

theknittycontessa.etsy.com said...

Love the hats! Practical storage plus a decorating statement - when you live in a small apt there's nothing better!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

so so so true Pam!! I love these collections! i dont have any...yet.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

That airplane idea would have been great for my son when he was younger. I don't really have many displayed collections, either.

Peggy said...

I do have a couple of collections (coffee/tea pots plus cups, old typewriters, and turtles... the turtles were a childhood collection... small but I would never part with them willingly because most are handmade and gifts. Up until recently they were simply tucked away in the hutch. Well in order to have a place for fabric and craft items we emptied the hutch. Currently they all lived clustered together on the living room book cases with no rhyme or reason (been too sick to tackle them!) Thank you for the inspiration!!

Leslie said...

I have a small blue and white collection. It's not that easy to create a display or vignette. This is a fun post Pam and helpful to get one thinking about how to go about creating the perfect look. Gorgeous images!

xxL

High Cotton Style said...

I don't have a special collection.. I want one tho. Eric as quite a collection of duck decoys and prints...does that count?

erica said...

I don't really collect anything besides purses and shoes lol, but if I did I would definitely use some of these ideas. Love them. xx

Unknown said...

I collect blue and white porcelains, and art and live pets! haha. Hope youre having a great week Pam. Stay warm.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

perch shop said...

okay so that frame wall is so unique. love that! my collections are all over the place and need a little direction. maybe that can be my goal for 2013!
xoxo

Sew a Fine Seam said...

I'd love to have a vast collection of ironstone. And antique linens!

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating said...

I go in phases with my collections. For several years, I collected pitchers, most of which I displayed above my cabinets at my old house (when decorating above your cabinets - with the addition of faux greenery, of course, was in). When we moved to our current house, I desired a coastal look, so faux coral and the like was my cryptonite. I still have some of it, but it's scattered around so it's not so obvious. I'm not sure if it would be better together as a collection or not!

Gypsy Heart said...

Very interesting photos! I have a wall of crosses and that's about all I collect now except for cookbooks. :) I read them like novels ~

Pat

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

Hương Lâm chuyên cung cấp máy photocopy và dịch vụ cho thuê máy photocopy giá rẻ, uy tín TP.HCM với dòng máy photocopy toshiba và dòng máy photocopy ricoh uy tín, giá rẻ.

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover