Tuesday, January 22, 2013

emerald dresser tutorial

Thank you all so much for your sweet comments on the dresser,
 your kind words, encouragement and helpful opinions keep me going during
 the tedious parts of the projects!


Here's the scoop in my usual tutorial format:
Products, Price, Prep, Procedure, Problems

The top of the dresser is laminate, which I hadn't ever painted before,
I followed this tutorial.

PRODUCTS
Zinnser Cover Stain Primer
Elmer's Wood Filler
Benjamin Moore Advance Paint - High Gloss
 matched to Behr Precious Emerald
 Purdy Paint Brush 
Sandpaper - 100 grit, 320 grit
Ikea Hardware - Metrik
Rustoleum Metallic Spray Paint - Brass


PRICE
Dresser - FREE :)
Zinnser Stain Cover Quart (used about 1/2 can)  - $9
Benjamin Moore Advance Paint Quart -  $20
Ikea Hardware 9 pkgs. of 2  - $63  
Rustoleum Metallic Paint - $5

Total - $97

PREP
Rough up the laminate top and the rest of the dresser with 100 grit sandpaper,
it doesn't have to be sanded well, just take the sheen off.  Repair any damaged areas
with wood filler and sand smooth. Wipe clean and dry. 


PROCEDURE
Prime furniture with Zinnser Stain Cover - 1 coat
Sand with 320 grit sandpaper, wipe clean and dry.
Applied 3 coats paint with Purdy brush, sand lightly with 320 grit sandpaper,
(wiping clean and drying after each sanding) between coats to get a smooth surface.

Hardware
I used Rustoleum Metallic Spray Paint in Brass for a gold finish before attaching.
A small amount of Loctite Super Glue Gel secured them to the dresser well.  


         


Legs
The dresser was about 4" shorter than I wanted for the dining room buffet. I added 
very simple legs from 2 x 2's I had cut to size at Home Depot, I only needed about 32"
total and found a piece in the scrap bin for 50 cents! I sanded, primed and spray
painted them. I turned the dresser over and attached the legs with wood glue.
  

PROBLEMS

The only problem was the original color, Benjamin Moore's Lawn Green was brighter
 than I anticipated, and I decided to darken it a bit after applying the first coat.
 The Benjamin Moore Paint store employees did a great job tweaking it for me to get a
 perfect match to Behr's Precious Emerald. I should have bought a couple of the 
sample pots - it would have saved me the time to coat the entire piece including all of the
drawers....I learned my lesson! 


The dining room still has a couple more projects I need to finish before I can 
officially call it done, but for now I'm ready to move on to a new space....
 still to be determined!






21 comments:

Nancie Bee said...

You can move on to my spaces...they definitely need more work than I have been giving them!

My Crafty Home Life said...

I love that BM paint, too. I never look at the Behr colors, good tip.

Jill Flory of Sew a Fine Seam said...

It looks so professional! I'm so bad about buying a sample first. I just want it done and too often I don't take the extra steps that would actually save time in the end!

Nancy said...

Great tutorial, thanks for detailing it for us. I love your hardware and the entire look is fabulous. Yes, this blogger support can really keep us going, isn't it great?
xo Nancy
powellbrowerhome.com

Cathy Wall said...

You always make hard work look so easy Pam! And the results flawless...!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Good to know what to do for laminates. And, love the solution for the legs!

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lori said...

Simply stunning! Were there 18 drawers to start and now 9? Did you cut it down or was it two pieces? I'm interested in altering some pieces by cutting things off, but I have no clue. Daughter's comments "That's like a magic trick. It so beautiful and I love how it's Chinese-ish."

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

It is SIMPLY GORGEOUS!!!
Deserves praises over and over.
Represents.

SIMPLE DETAILS

Dana Frieling said...

My favorite part of this makeover is the hardware! Who knew super glue would be strong enough to hold it?!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Can I just say what a worthwhile investment the hardware was? It just makes this piece….along with the color that really turned out beautifully, didn't it?? You have such vision. Seriously, you need your own HGTV show!!!!!

Danielle said...

Fantastic tutorial. Thank you for sharing all the aspects of the makeover. x

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

For less than $100 your dining room has completely changed! While I have really enjoyed painted furniture until now, you have made the wheels turn {lots} about painting more in my house. Def. a nursery project coming soon by the way!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Thanks for sharing your amazing transformation...!!

Gypsy Heart said...

Thanks a million for sharing the details! Now I will move forward with painting my piece.

Pat

elaine said...

you really have a great "eye" and great taste. love looking at your pics!

Kristin Jackson said...

SO SO PRETTY! (You know I love a green piece of furniture!)
xo-K

Stephanie said...

Wow Pam it really turned out beautiful! You really stuck with it, proud of you. I'm 0-3 on DIY projects, so kudos to you. I've never heard of using super glue on handles, I would be afraid they wouldn't hold to the new paint. I hope the weather warmed up for you.

Laura said...

What a great piece! The "brass" hardware gives it such a retro, but modern, look! Cant wait to see more from you! Laura

Irishnana said...

Bravo -- I'm green w/ envy!

Brenda said...

Thank you for the tutorial. Your finished product is stunning. I love the color and the handles (and handle placement). Well done you!

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover