Wednesday, January 23, 2013

dollar store diy gold heart...


I don't decorate for Valentine's Day, but I do like to style a quick,
Valentine vignette on my coffee table using all of my red books.

I thought a simple looking heart-shaped gold paperweight would be a pretty addition.
  I headed to the Dollar Tree in search of the perfect heart to diy with my favorite
 Rustoleum Metallic Brass spray paint.

Ta da...


I always like having a little treat set out, I'm not much of a chocoholic,
but Jelly Hearts, Hot Tamales, Caramels, Taffy....I can't resist! 


I've had these books for years, you've seen them in our bookcase styled for Christmas here.
The one on top in the back is titled, The Horrors of Love, ha! It's old, worn and the perfect
color. I remember finding it at a garage sale, one of my favorite places to buy books, they'll
practically give them away.  


 The plastic gem from the $ Store before being transformed into a gold paperweight!
  The three Sweet Tarts were a bonus. The other small heart I happened to
find in a 'Valentine' box, you could still see the outline of, 'SMILE,' so I turned it over.
I also did a quick spray of clear gloss for a little shine.
  


Super simple, super quick and super inexpensive!

If you missed Valentine post last year you can check it out here,
more super simple and sweet ideas!

Do you have a sweet tooth? What's your favorite candy? 

Need more Valentine inspiration
Debbie @ Debbiedoo's and Shannon @ Fox Hollow Cottage
are hosting a party here.

24 comments:

Cindy @ a curious gardener said...

Yu are such a good spray painter, never a drip!

I crave Hot Tamales after Mexican food, caramels are my all time favorite. I just love chewy candy. Also love black licorice!

Kim said...

Cute vignette! I am a sucker for candy corn at Halloween!! xo

Luci @Bungalow At Home said...

How cute Pam!
You are a good spray painter! It's been 9 degrees here in the Northeast so no spraying going on.. Just huddling on the couch under blankets:)

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

I agree, you are a pro spraypainter. I never have mastered it. I'm not sure if I will allow myself to buy anymore Valentines Candy- I just went through a bag of the sweet tart candy hearts!

eas said...

That is just an adorable gold heart! You may have inspired me to make these to fill with candy for my valentine's.

Nicole {Appalachian Charm} said...

That is a very cute DIY, I may have to head to the Dollar Store soon!! I love Valentine candy..especially the conversation hearts and sweet tarts.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Oh what a great idea...love your table...so festive, yet classic!

Lori said...

Perfect styling! Did you know that you are also ready for Chinese New Year which starts on Feb. 10? Red and gold are Chinese symbols of good luck! Happy New Year!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Pretty Valentines vignette! I love how you've used the red books.

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Very clever and festive! See, you're getting lots of use out of that gold mesh. My favorites...York peppermint patties, Hershey's Special Dark, Peanut M&Ms, and Life Savers. Oh, and Maple Nut Goodies. :)

Linda said...

Again such clever ideas! I love Simple Details!

Leslie said...

I'm like you Pam.. not a really big decorator for VD however your coffee table looks very festive:) Your books are perfect are the gold heart is just the right touch!

Katie @ Creatively Living said...

That is awesome! Totally going to look for some of those!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...


I love the small touches you have added for the day.
I don't think I have ever "decorated" for Valentine's Day. If I remember to buy and MAIL the cards I should, I'm in good shape!

Gypsy Heart said...

Love all the red! Great idea to decorate with books. I don't do much decorating for VD anymore but I do small touches. Red is my favorite color so it's easy. Love the idea of painting the heart ~ looks awesome!

Pat

the cape on the corner said...

seriously, why can't i think of things like this! thanks for the great inspiration!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Love the gold heart! I've been trying to look at all the 'junk' at the dollar store and imagine it with a coat of paint :)

Shannon Fox said...

Love the tres classy V-day decor.

PS-You made me want candy!!

A room with a view said...

Even if you do not really decorate for Valentine's day you have done a great job styling here, Pam!

Stacey said...

Oh my gosh, that looks like a really pretty/expensive item. :)

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

Lovely idea!

Ashley Turner said...

What a great idea!

Marcia - The Cuban said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! These numbers just took me back to my childhood in Cuba. They look just like the numbers we had on our houses.

Thanks for my mini trip down memory lane. :)

Dollar Store Experts said...

We really enjoyed and benefited from your article. Thanks and more power!

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover