Tuesday, February 14, 2012

next diy project...

Built-in Bookcase Detail

I'm totally smitten with the revival of anything gold or brass!
 I love the warm richness it lends to modern pieces or it's ever-classic traditional look.

I've been debating adding some sort of detail to my neutral bookcases,
but wasn't totally sold on painting the backs and then....

The Inspiration!



My love for neutral + gold = perfection!

I spied this last week when Sherry,
(the crack-you-up, spit-your-coffee on your keyboard, hilarious blogger)
 at design indulgence posted it from one of her famous shopping trips to Scotts!
If you want a laugh along with a fabulous dose of design check her out here!

My Built-in Bookcase




I found these trim pieces at Home Depot.


Unfortunately, due to the design I won't be able to outline my unit in as much detail
 as the inspiration photo, but here is a preview of my idea. 



and on the face of the shelf.



These are a couple of inspiration photos I've saved forever.
My color loving friends are probably bored to tears!

Pinned Image
lauracaseyinteriors.com



simplyseleta.com

Pinned Image
atlantahomesmag.com


I'll keep you posted on the progress!

18 comments:

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

I'm completely in love with brass and gold right now too and I love your inspiration bookcase. I can't wait to see your finished project!

A room with a view said...

This looks promising. I love the idea of the addition of a hint of gold with the trim. I love built-ins; wish I had these in my house.

Holly Gruszka said...

This is exciting. And I know I'm probably one of your color loving friends, but I have such a deep appreciation for beautiful neutral interiors. Watch, my next home will be all neutrals...maybe we'll see. Anyway, can't wait to see you put details on your shelves - that inspiration photo is a good one and very Pam.

Unknown said...

I like where this is headed Pam! I too have a "jones" for the antique brass look, it's really a classic.
Cathy

laxsupermom said...

I love the way brass is coming back, too. Looking forward to seeing the trim up on your bookcases.

Dana Frieling said...

Great idea! It'll totally take your bookcases to the next level.

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

I think this is going to be awesome! Check out my blog post from yesterday... I gave you an award! Sorry to comment late, but I was out of town yesterday!

Leslie said...

Wonderful idea and I love that hint of gold!

xx
leslie

annie@mostlovelythings said...

I love that trim detail you found at Home Depot...are you thinking of painting your brick white? Wonderful inspiration photos and I adore white painted brick. I often think I should add more color to my neutrals and then I see images like this and I just find them so beautiful and soothing.

Amanda said...

what a great idea! cant wait to see it when your done. And yes Sherry is a hoot!!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Cool idea! Be sure to share what gold paint you use, I'm always on the hunt for a good one that's just the right color!

Unknown said...

This is perfect timing!!! We are rebuilding our bookcases in our family room, as we completely rebuilt the fireplace. Been thinking about how I could change them up - though I thought they were pretty good before. This post has done it for me. LOVE where you're headed with yours. Amazing what a little detail can do.

xo Elizabeth

RHome410 said...

You have me intrigued... Can't wait to see the result! And just when we put in some super-plain bookshelves...

Lori said...

I love that subtle gold, so pretty and so Pam. I can't wait to see your results.

Lori @ Lori May Interiors said...

Oh Pam, this is right down my alley! I love the neutrals and I can't wait to see what you do with your bookcases.

Hey, have you heard of the Haven conference that is being held here in Atlanta in June. They are almost sold out, but I think you would love it! I would love for you to come, so we could meet in person! Check it out at havenconference.com.

Talk soon!

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

Can you bring your bookcases and trim right on over to my house?! haha. This is going to be fabulous! Can't wait to see.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the gold trim against white. Subtle but gives it such an amazing custom look. I'm leaning toward grey built-ins for my own place, maybe some white trim will be perfect :)

Sew a Fine Seam said...

I like your inspiration photos! i'm not huge on gold but I'm all over the neutrals:)

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover