Wednesday, February 22, 2012

diy trash to treasure

Are you totally overwhelmed when you enter a thrift store filled
to the brim with treasures junk? 

I'm going to take you on you a quick trip to a local Goodwill,
 where I spent about 15 minutes finding these items.
 You can easily create the look in the inspiration photos with a little spray paint! 

Rule #1 - Look for shape!  
 Rule #2 - Look for texture!
 Rule #3 - Disregard any color or pattern!
(because we're going to paint them)
Rule #4 - Be open!

Inspiration: 
Look for a bowl, cup and vase with texture.

Little White Book

Found:
Bowl petal like shape, creamer with handle and nice shape, modern shaped cup.




Inspiration:
Look for vases with tall neck.
tulips-in-blue-vases
studioanacht

Found:
I found all of these and grouped them together for you to see.


Inspiration:
Look for short jar-like pot, vase with texture.

rhlyonphotography.wordpress.com

Found:
Short pot with great handles (in the back) 


textured vases to the right on top shelf.



 Inspiration:
Look for variety of interesting shapes.

flickr.com

Found:
Three interesting shapes right here, the pale blue pottery, tall green vase,
round piece behind the lamp...bingo!


And, another one!



Inspiration:
Look for variety of styles and shapes in assorted textures.
Ish & Chi

Found:  Jackpot!!






Inspiration:
Look for a variety of shapes and textures, again.
heygorg.com

Found:
Yep, this one works...once again!


Inspiration:
Look for a combination of jars and bottles

apple-crate.blogspot.com

Found:
Jars and bottles as close as your recycle bin!


Next week I'll show you which of these treasures found its
way home with me and what it looks like now!

18 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I need tutorials like this, Pam! I am so overwhelmed at the thrift store, I just walk right through and out the door again. Looking forward to seeing your treasures!

Dana Frieling said...

Wondering if the creamer made it home with ya? It looks like something that would jump in your cart!

Holly Gruszka said...

I think a few those painted with a pop of pink would be perfect in your home...I'm anxious to see what you chose. Now I'm also chomping at the bit to do some thrifting. I saw some nice goblets in one of those photos too. Your Goodwill looks good!

Nicole said...

DON'T paint that bubbly milk glass one! Its too good as it currently is!

Unknown said...

Fabulous inspiration shots and a great "primer" for everyone as to how to "shop" Goodwill! I can only imagine what you have pulled together from it all...!
Cathy

Amanda said...

this is a wonderful post! For many its hard to see the potential in things when your thrifting- having your inspiration photos are a visual. Now Im wanting to go to my GoodWill!!

Lori said...

Thanks, Pam. I needed this lesson! I wish I had your eye, but I'm feeling more prepared now. I wouldn't have been able to pass up the creamer, bubble pitcher, vase with pretty handle, etc. Is it a half-off Sat. this week?!

rachel @ Just a Touch of Gray said...

Great tips! Makes me want to head to Goodwill right now!

Simple Daisy said...

Love Goodwill!
Great ideas:)
Glad I stopped by!

viv said...

I love this! I need to be more open minded when I go browse through my local thrift shops.

Alexa said...

I seriously needed this. I get really overwhelmed when looking through thrift stores and these are all such great finds!

Mae B said...

I've really been wanting to try this! You've inspired me (as always) to give it a go! You're such a rockstar! :)
xx

Decor & Harmony said...

Thanks for the post! You have just given me an idea :) Whenever I go to Goodwill I checkout only the furniture I guess I will have to browse a bit more.

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Wow, your Goodwill has a much bigger selection than ours! I love that little milkglass hobnail vase-I have two of those myself. For some reason it reminds me of I Dream of Jeannie's bottle. :) Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve with this one!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

you've got my creative juices bubbling! I've seen a lot of ideas lately for painting glassware. Can't wait to see what all you bought and what you do with it.

A room with a view said...

Shapes and textures are key and enable one to look beyond the decorative work currently found on each piece.All one needs is a little imagination.

Kimberly Moore said...

great finds! texture is soo key in design! Love those black matte vases.

Laura said...

Which Goodwil in the Denver area is your fav?

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover