Thursday, February 2, 2012

diy leopard tray

If you saw this post yesterday you already know I have a love for leopard!
Another love - IKEA!

Combine the two and you've got my transformation of a
 $2.99 clear plastic IKEA tray...


Original IKEA Tray - 14 x 20


Taping off for painting. Here's my tip for making an exact pattern of any curve
you're working with.  I took two pieces of tape and lightly taped them to my table, then
traced my curve at the base of the tray. Remove the tape and cut inside the traced line.


Another love - spray paint!

Notice anything else in the works, it will be making a debut
next week when I reveal my 'pops of pink' post!
If you're in the dark about that, you can get the scoop here.


This was my original plan for the tray... 
this thick, heavily textured pink paper was in the scrapbook paper section at Hobby Lobby.
I'm doing something else with it...it's a surprise! :)

  
Back to the project I did...
Mix a little dark umber paint with classic gold and brush it on,
then wipe off to tone down the gold. 
  

My leopard paper, also found in the scrapbook paper section at Hobby Lobby,
is a heavily textured, flocked paper,  $2 each.
  It looks more professional if you can match the pattern. Then tape lightly.


Trim with a sharp exacto knife.


Use the same procedure as above to ensure a perfect fit for the curve.
Remove the tape, and using a hot glue gun secure the corners and edges.


Ta da!


Look for it with a few different accessories in the PINK post next week! 

Happy Friday, friends!
Hope your weekend is fabulous!

Joining Kristen @ Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tuesday's Treasures here  

27 comments:

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love this tray! So chic and fun.

Kate @ Daffodils said...

this is amazing!!

Stacy CUrran said...

I don't think I knew just how crafty you are! I'm insanely impressed and jealous at the same time ;)
Stacy

Unknown said...

As I said the other day...you are the "Queen," one clever project after another! LOVE it!
Cathy

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

Very chic & inexpensive. A great project!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love it Pam! How fun! I can't even believe that's the Ikea plastic tray - it looks like something in a boutique!!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Never would have guessed that started as a cheapy plastic tray! LOVING the black, white, and gold mix. Also, that's a fantastic tip for getting your tape just right! Good work!

Leslie said...

I need to get over to Ikea! Great finds there - I love trays, great idea. Thanks for sharing!

Enjoy your day.

leslie

Carly Haslee said...

Pam, you're brilliant. Adding this to my to-do list. Can't believe that was a clear tray. Wisconsin doesn't have an IKEA so I need to find a way to get my hands on a tray. Leopard + gold = flawless

Lori said...

What a beauty! I've added it to my "Want to copy" list. I love color of gold you created.

Inspired said...

I bet there will be a spike in sales of plastic trays at IKEA! You are the master of transformations.

Lori @ Lori May Interiors said...

You are so talented lady! I can't believe you waited so long to start this blog and share your talent with the rest of us!

A room with a view said...

I love this! The combination of the gold with the black and white print is stunning. I cannot wait to see what you do with the fuchsia paper. Have a great weekend, Pam!

Sarah said...

Genius! IKEA is such a wonderland of goodness!

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

Your tray is gorgeous and your photo composition is superb!

Dana Frieling said...

I have that same tray in turquoise. Maybe I need to give it some clothes like you did!

Holly Gruszka said...

So cute Pam! But I thought today was pillow day? ;) I love any of your projects and this one does not diappoint and easy on the wallet is a plus. Have a great weekend friend!

Rebecca Gray @visitready.blogspot said...

thank you for the tape trick! simple genius

rachel @ Just a Touch of Gray said...

What a cute idea! It turned out great! Love the extra touch of gold paint you used!

Anonymous said...

Your tray looks fabulous!!

Kathy

Calypso In The Country said...

Love your tray, Pam! I need to make a trip to Ikea!...Although I don't think I will be going out much in the near future with the puppy coming this afternoon! Yay! Have a great weekend!
-Shelley

natasha {schue love} said...

I love Ikea too! This is such a fun idea! :)

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

It turned out so great! Can't wait to see the pops of pink post as well! :)

Mae B said...

Ok, I'm going to buy these supplies TOMORROW!
I love this...love it!
I love all the DIY you've been doing. So inspirational!
Thanks for sharing
xx

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Love the leopard!

Chelsea said...

hi! I cant wait to try this! Do I spray it with gold spray paint, then mix the dark umber paint with the classic gold and brush it on? Where can I find umber paint? And is there a classic gold brand I should get? Thanks! I am OBSESSED with your site!!

pam {simple details} said...

Hi Chelsea - You can find dark umber and classic gold at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, I just happened to have a tube of dark umber, and the classic gold or similar is acrylic paint. The colors don't have to be exact you just want to tone down the gold a bit. I applied with a foam brush and then lightly wiped it off.
Thanks so much for your kind words, good luck with your project! :)

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover