Tuesday, January 3, 2012

odd yet essential element

Last month I mentioned an article by
Deborah Needlman,
author of the forthcoming "The Perfectly Imperfect Home."
Here is another essential on her list ~
10 Odd, Yet Essential, Elements of Style

A Little Animal

"It is so nice to have a small creature in figurine form in your house.
 A funny stuffed animal on a nicely made bed, a white porcelain monkey on your dining table,
 a painted Staffordshire dog in your bookshelf or a big gold piggy bank on your mantel.
  Don't question me here, just pick up a nice inanimate pet along your journeys, bring it home and see how you feel."

Here are a few ideas from the blogosphere...
heyhomeslice.blogspot.com

mariakillam.com


stylecourt.blogspot.com
 Anna Sprio

 Jamie @ Furbish

 Emily Henderson

Pinterest via Karen Jackson


uploaded by user

I'm going to add it to my thrifting list.
Do you have a cute little animal at your home?


10 comments:

Dana Frieling said...

Got my token pug as a bookend! Animal decor is such a fun conversation piece.

Leslie said...

I have to wooden kitties that look like our own cats! My 15 month old gestures to them everyday, wanting me to bring them down to her so that she can touch there faces. LZ

Michelle @ Ten June said...

I totally agree! I think a fun little figurine adds a bit of whimsy to any space. And always puts a smile on your face when you walk by : ) I've got a few in my house, but my favorite is the white ceramic elephant teapot I scored at World Market- it sits on a shelf in my kitchen!

Holly Gruszka said...

I like the dog with the watches too. And these examples would have been great for my vignettes post as well ;) I always keep an eye out for a special little creature but I have a hard time finding something that catches my eye. My little wooden turtle lost its foot over the holidays - gotta get the glue out.

Elizabeth B said...

My beads/necklaces hang on wooden crosses-very functional but it has always seemed a bit sacriligious. Wonder if I could find some broad shouldered birds to do the same job with more personality?

Lori said...

I never even thought of this. I love the horse with the patina finish. Thanks for the idea!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

The jewelry holders are my favorite, too. I'd love to find a pair of Staffordshire dogs someday. I think quirky little animals here and there add such a touch of personality!

Jo said...

So many cute displays!
My husband gave me a bulldog {we have two} as a gift last Christmas. It's sitting on one of our end tables. I love the idea of using it as a jewelry holder ... very clever.

Jo

Antee Gurung said...

Hey cute post!! very nice pics!! loved them all...than x for sharing..i also have three saint bernards...they r the apple of my eye!!
btw i just came across ur blog n i think its very nice!! i would love to check out more of ur updates!!! How abt we follow each other??
love & luck
ANN

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

I am adding these to my thrifting list too, I adore them as jewelry holders! How clever! Love this post.

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover