Sunday, January 29, 2012

diy fish scale lamp shade

I'd seen fish scale art, here and there,
and then I saw this drum shade, made by Emily at Newlywife.
 I wanted one!

My version....







I followed Emily's tutorial, here are my usual diy details:
Product, Price, Prep, Procedure, Problems and Patience!

Product & Price

Brown Vinyl - 1 Yard - $14.00
(3/4 yard would have been plenty, my shade is 9 x 14)


Metallic Craft Paint
Classic Gold, Classic Champagne - $2.00


Procedure

Trace your circles and cut out.
 (mine were 2 1/2", I used 150) 


I painted 8 circles at a time, first covering them with a small amount gold and
then a smaller amount of champagne on top.
 Play with the color a bit until you get the look you like.



The mottled appearance is created by folding the circle in half and in half again,
 while the paint is wet.
 Working quickly, fold the circle, hold it for a few seconds, then open and set aside to dry.

Sorry, forgot I was a blogger for a few minutes and didn't take photos of attaching them!

Fortunately, Emily is a good blogger! Here she shows you how to do it!


Problems

Did any of you notice my big mistake?
#1 - After attaching my first row of circles, I carefully lined the next row up right above
 the first row...ugh!  I should have staggered the next row!

#2 - Also, I wish mine was a little lighter and more gold, it definitely changes color and
 looks lighter when the natural light is coming in, as you can see in the photo.
(I may lightly brush some a little more color onto it.) 

Patience

2 hours drawing and cutting 150 circles
(subtract 10 minute break for a Thin Mint cookie and blog reading)
1 /1/2 hours painting and folding 150 circles
1 hour attaching circles to shade


Thank you for the inspiration, Emily,
you did a wonderful job!

&

More inspiration, if you're feeling inclined...




You could even give your shoes a little pizazz!

Bo'em Flat Sandals - Photo



I'm ready to scale (ha!) back and do a quick spray paint project! :)

 Joining Beth's party here
Home Stories A2Z for Tips and Tutorials


25 comments:

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

What a fantastic addition to your room! Wow, that's a lot of circles to cut out. I can't believe you had the perfect lamp for this project just sitting around waiting to become fabulous! And no, I would have never noticed the bottom two rows if you hadn't said anything. Thanks for passing along another great idea!

Brandi said...

Such a gorgeous idea, Pam! I love this!

Anonymous said...

Your lamp looks great!! I also love the scale wall art :)

Dana Frieling said...

I've considered this project for a ceiling treatment. The patience factor has kept me from tackling it! Your patience definitely paid off...your lamp is rockin'!

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

It turned out great, Pam! I love it!

Lori said...

So pretty, Pam! I love the shimmer and just perfect for that spot. Gotta love the Thin Mint break! I wonder if I start tracing some Thin Mints and...

Arvada said...

If you give a talented DIYer a cookie, then she's going to want some spray paint... What a beauty! I love it.

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

You need to trademark the 6P's! Very clever and your lampshade looks amazing. Great tutorial and I love your inspiration photos. It got my creative juices flowing.

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

Such a cool lamp! Nice work.

Holly Gruszka said...

How cool! I love the look and I've always been an admirer of the scaled look. And the whole look and shape of the lamp is really cool. I didn't even notice your flaw.

Maria Matiopoulou said...

Great DIY project! I also like the fish scale wall art!
Thanks for sharing.

Maria from http://www.unidentifiedlifestyle.com

Stacy CUrran said...

PAM! You did it! And it's AWESOME. I love it. That's the difference between us -- we both said we were going to do one, but you actually did! Although in my defense I have two ear infections and a sinus infection!
Stacy

Jaclyn said...

You did such a nice job. Wow! Looks beautiful.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Pam, I love the new lampshade! It looks fabulous. xo, Sherry

designchic said...

No way...now I want one - it's fabulous!!

Unknown said...

Pam, this turned out beautifully! I am officially crowning you the "Queen of Clever" your DIY projects are just amazing!
Cathy

Hyphen Interiors said...

Turned out great! I love the color. I want one.

Emily @ NewlyWife said...

Love how it turned out!

Sharon (30yrs later) said...

What a fabulous end result, and I actually like it exactly the way it is, NOT staggered.

gina said...

That is beautiful! I've never seen that before but may have to make one!

Jessica @ Decor Adventures said...

Hi Pam,

Wow, I absolutely love this. I've been trying to think of something unique to do to my lamp shades and this might be just the thing. Great project :-)

Kammy's Korner said...

Oh wow! Patience is an essential ingredient... hmmmmm I soooo wanna do this but I don't know if I have what it takes!! haha. Awesome job! I'd love for you to share this over on Kammy's Korner for Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday if you get a chance. http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com/2012/03/trash-2-treasure-tuesday-22.html

Bernadette said...

Thanks for the tutorial! Pinned it. For, you know, when I have time to get to all the awesome projects in blogland. Love your take on this.

Bernadette
www.b3hd.blogspot.com

A Vintage Vine said...

Pam, loved this post...u can bet I'm looking for a way to make one of these!!

Unknown said...

That's very cool!!!
Did you spread the paint out before folding the circles, or just leave it a blob in the middle?

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover