Sunday, January 8, 2012

i purged to my heart's content

Donate ~  Keep  ~ Trash
check ~   check  ~ check

No doubt you've heard the best way to organize is the three pile method,
it worked!

I set out to organize this large storage cabinet in my laundry room.
(1938 laundry room in the basement explains the poor light for photos - sorry!) 
Actually, it's a big laundry room, and I love that it's downstairs.

BEFORE


AFTER


Remember the two shelves of photos...I spent more time sitting on the
floor looking through them than I did organizing.
It was a snowy day, I had my coffee and my memories of a sweet baby boy,
 family vacations, a cute toddler, weddings, 3 year old soccer team,
neighborhood friends, first day of kindergarten, Field Days, ski trips...
get the picture?

I quickly covered some storage items in scrapbook paper I had,
(this dish detergent tub now holds boxed chandelier bulbs).
Other light bulbs are in the box behind it.


Since I had whiled away my day I only covered the fronts of the boxes...priorities!


The photos fit nicely in my Nike Shoe Boxes.
The basket on the bottom holds gift bags.
Other containers hold school supplies, cards, small gifts to have on hand.


Spools of ribbon are organized by color and type in 3 different boxes.


My magazines that I like to save are on the top shelf,
instead of piled next to my bed (high enough to serve as a nightstand!)

I decided it was time to part with 8 years of Bon Appetit magazines...finally!
(from another room)

Did you notice the pre-school artwork I found, it's on the inside of the doors. :)

It was a good day!
    

I'll be 'getting it together' with Rene @ Cottage and Vine
and
Join me at Saved by Suzy and check out all the projects!

17 comments:

Lori said...

Nike should use your photo for marketing - they would sell even more shoes! So functional and pretty. I'm inspired!

Inspired in Arvada said...

Love it. A few years ago, I had a hard time parting with my Bon Appetite collection. I had to keep reminding myself that all of the recipes are available on www.epicurean.com, or I would not have been able to do it.

Dana Frieling said...

You were one focused girl this weekend. Hope Mr. Simple "gets it" now! I used to have the paisley scrapbook paper framed and above my mantle...great minds!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Yeah! I bet that feels so great to have such a clean organized space! It looks beautiful and I like how you used a lot of what you already had and made it pretty instead of spending big bucks on storage containers.

Erin~Just*Grand said...

I am so impressed with all of your lovely coordinated boxes. And to think they are tangerine, the color of the year for 2012! So refreshing! Great job!

designchic said...

It looks amazing and love the "hermes' storage boxes...so fun!! Need to get myself busy...

Holly Gruszka said...

Aw, a trip down memory lane - those are the best and most productive of course! I organized my ribbon similar to yours as well and it works. I've still got a lot to do but this post helps with my motivation.

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

loving that orange!! Your organization looks great and I'm sure it feels even better!!

Carly Haslee said...

I'm officially inspired, and this makes me want to do even more work organizing my closet. Great, great idea to pick a color scheme-how much more fun could organizing get?!

Sarah said...

This is beautiful! I have the same boxes from IKEA but my space does not look nearly that gorgeous! I have some work to do!

Unknown said...

Omg! So pretty and tidy! I love all the orange!

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

What a transformation!! So organized & I LOVE the color scheme!

René said...

Your closet is beautiful! It is great that you recycled those boxes. I would never have known they weren't purchased that way.

Thank you for joining the party Pam!
-René

Unknown said...

Niiice! I love the use of color to make everything look unified yet so pretty! Great job! Found you through Cottage and Vine.

The Vintique Object said...

Love how your Nike boxes coordinate with everything else. That is awesome! And how sweet that you were able to hand up your preschooler's artwork.

Are those coffee cans covered with contact paper? So cute!
Camille

Renee said...

I love your orange boxes. And, thanks for the idea on covering the boxes with paper. Simple idea, but something I didn't think of doing!

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

How fun to go through old things and all of the memories they hold. Also so fun to purge and organize things! I love how the orange of the Nike boxes fits in perfectly!

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover