Wednesday, November 30, 2011

ikea lantern + monogram towel = unique gift

WARNING:  Friends & Neighbors & Hostesses - No Peeking!!

I saw these lanterns at Ikea and I knew I wanted them for something.
I came up with this idea for a unique personalized gift perfect for a hostess or neighbors!

simpledetailsblog.blogspot.com

The lantern makes a festive presentation, I love a container that's part of the gift. 
Here's what I put inside, but the possibilities are endless.
DIY Monogram Dish Towel
Our favorite cookies from Ikea, homemade treats would be nice,
 but if you're short on time these are delicious!

One of my favorite bloggers, Rene from Cottage & Vine showed us how she
made these personalized towels, and I totally copied her!
 If you've never visited her you're missing out, big-time!! 


I picked up these cotton towels at Ikea, too.


Iron your towel, choose any pattern or letter and trace it onto freezer paper,
cut out your pattern with an exacto knife
 and then place the freezer paper on your towel and iron again.
This secures the edges so your fabric paint doesn't bleed beyond the outline.


I used a stencil brush to apply fabric paint (purchased at Michaels) just make sure
you don't load much paint onto the brush, it should be fairly dry.



Let dry and remove the freezer paper....ta da!


I rolled the towel up and tied with a pretty ribbon.
Add a bow, bell and some evergreen tied to the handle and you're good to go!


simpledetailsblog.blogspot.com  



20 comments:

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

OK, seriously cute! Wish I was a friend, neighbor, or hostess!

Dana Frieling said...

Oh wow! I think you just answered my question about what to give as teacher gifts this year. Thanks!

Carly {a simple affair} said...

Ditto! I would love to be a friend, neighbor, or hostess! Can't believe those lanterns are from IKEA. Wisconsin really needs to get its act together and get an IKEA somewhere and soon. Another wonderful project--per usual :) Thanks for such wonderful instructions!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Love that idea!!

Lori said...

Just perfect- festive, personalized, and functional! You are uber-creative! Did I mention I'm moving next door?

Inspired in Arvada said...

Happy 75th! I noticed you now have 75 members, and in such a short time! Your blog is truly a standout. You have amazing tastes and talent. Thanks for inspiring!

Lori @ Lori May Interiors said...

Pam, I really may have to copy this idea for teachers' gifts. Absolutely, my favorite thing, I've seen so far this year. Great job!

René said...

Those are adorable! Now I need to make more :)

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

That's so cute! Definitely a gift I'd like to receive! I gave you an award on my blog today: http://www.lifeonmarsblog.net/2011/12/holiday-series-at-type.html

Holly Gruszka said...

What a great idea! I love those lanterns too - we have a few of them and use them often but now I think I might use them for some holiday decor.

Amelia said...

Great idea - love that these are all things your gift-getter will actually use! Just discovered your blog via Life of Mars. I'm a new follower :)

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

This is a fabulous, unique gift that anyone would love to get. I think I will try to copy your clever ideas for a few of my friends! Thanks for the inspiration. Your final picture is lovely!

A Vintage Vine said...

Love it! Copying Rene is always good, I love her too! Now we all can copy you, because this is wonderful...I was just at Ikea Tuesday, walked past those and thought,"they were cool" but did not have an idea like this!!

Lili said...

fantastic idea! love those towels from ikea and all inexpensive!

Debbie refresh restyle said...

I'm 3 hours from the nearest Ikea, I'm always in the wrong place! Maybe I can improvise!
Debbie

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Wish I was your neighbor.

Hyphen Interiors said...

What a cute idea!! Taking note.

Erin of Salvaged Whimsy said...

How cute...what a great idea! It's a hostess gift that someone can actually use. We have those IKEA towels and LOVE them.

gift pakistan said...

Such a nice and interested gift ideas i like to share with my friend.

simpleandsmile said...

Shop the large, super absorbent towels for beach and resort areas. We have a bulk beach towels in various sizes, colors, patterns and designs.

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover