Wednesday, November 2, 2011

how well does scotch guard work?

                   The more I looked at my swatches I decided I really wanted this fabric,
                                                      but it isn't washable,
               since it will be used on the barstools at our kitchen island I knew chances were
               guaranteed pretty good it may get a spill here or there. So before purchasing it
               I decided to try a little test with a can of Scotch Guard Fabric Protector I had.

                                 I sprayed the fabric with 2 light coats per instructions.
                Poured ketchup on the lightest colored area of the fabric and rubbed it in good!
                                                      Let it set for 10 minutes.
                                                             
               

                                 Gently scrubbed it with a paper towel and dish soap.
                                                            Check it out!!!                
                          (It looks like it may be pilling, but that was fibers from my paper towel) 

Woo ~ hoo, I went and bought it!

The progress for today....

I sanded down the wood filler with 150 grit sandpaper and
painted the legs with Glidden High Gloss Black that I had.

Here is the before and after....
     


The plan for tomorrow is to make a pattern for the slipcover,
wish me luck and patience



10 comments:

Inspired said...

Wow! It's great that you love both beauty and practicality. I would never have thought of the ketchup test and was shocked that it came out so well. Chair legs look like new. I can't wait to see the final product!

Nancie B. said...

You can also have the fabric laminated. And I used to just spray clear lacquer spray paint on white canvas shoes to protect them. Worked! (Poor girls "ScotchGuard"!)

pam {simple details} said...

Nancie, Great ideas, I think I'll check into them. I'm wondering if it would feel comfortable, my boys wouldn't go for scratchy.

Has anyone tried it?

Dana Frieling said...

You just made the world a better place today! I totally wouldn't have trusted scotch guard on indoor decor. Thanks for the tip!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Wow, impressive! I need to pick up a few cans and treat some white chairs that I had reupholstered a while back.

Your last picture made me laugh...half the cans in my pantry have paint on them from using them to prop up furniture when painting. ;-)

Robin Johnson said...

I can't believe it works so well. With three kids running around my house that it good information to have! Thanks

Holly Gruszka said...

That last picture is the answer to my troubles - why didn't I think of that??? I'm interested to see your slip cover - I'd love to try that sometime.

A Vintage Vine said...

WOW, you are smart, I think you are good to go, the scotch guard obviously works! Looking forward to the finished product..Like I said, I really love that fabric!

Unknown said...

Love your choice of fabric and the fact that you are going to scotch guard it instead of ruling it out! The wood fix looks perfect and I look forward to the full reveal!

Cathy

Becca@Carpet Cleaning In Perth said...

Love the new strategies. Looking at the slip ups as learning experiences is a great idea! :)

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover