Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Monogram Door Mat

                       What's a blogger to do when it's 4:30 and she doesn't have
                                          any ideas for tomorrow's post?

                                               Start a new project!

          ~ If you don't care about the door mat here is a cool photo for you. ~

        You're seeing the reflection of the sky and tree in the shiny, wet black paint,
        and no I don't pretend to know anything about photography, it was just a
                                                      fun accident.
                                                

               We've needed a new door mat forever and I like the classic look of a monogram,
                   but didn't want to shell out $$$, so I purchased a plain mat at Ikea for $10. 

                         I used this wooden initial as my pattern, and traced in on poster board.



With the help of my pal, I measured for the correct placement.



Duh! Try again! If you want the letter black you'll need to leave that space open. 


                   I tried taping my pattern down, but it wouldn't adhere well, I thought
                 tacks would work, but we didn't have any (what happens to 200 tacks?),
                    so I decided on straight pins to keep the pattern as tight as possible
                                 and alleviate the paint from seeping underneath.                              


I used Rustoleum Black Gloss Spray Paint
and sprayed straight down from above versus at an angle,
 spraying light coats until the coverage was nice.
I want a black border so I measured and taped off that area.


Then covered all the areas where I didn't want paint with newspaper and
 used my sophisticated tools to hold it all in place.

                                                   
                                                    I planned to show it to you today,
                                                                        but
                                                   I have to go feed my family dinner.
                                    So hold your breath and keep your fingers crossed for me
                                                             when I peel this away.
                                                    I'll show you  the result tomorrow!
                                                

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your tools and your assistant! Are you getting the feeling that blogging can get expensive real quick (even with cheap DIYs)?!

Dana said...

Apparently I forgot to sign my name!

pam {simple details} said...

Dana - I'm pretty good at justifying how much money I'm saving! HA!

PopcornGirl said...

I can't wait to see the finished product. Smart idea to use your wooden letter as a pattern. Your pal has the sweetest face. Even your fun accident is beautiful! Good luck!

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

What a clever idea. This could be a great gift for some of my in-laws for Christmas. Mass production! Love your assistant!

natasha {schue love} said...

This already looks amazing! Can't wait to see the final project!

Amber B (Simple Dwellings) said...

Great job and very creative idea! Monogrammed rugs can be way too expensive, and I think your solution will look amazing! :) Thanks so much for stopping by and following yesterday! Happy to do the same! :)

A Vintage Vine said...

Creative! My front mat is needing a face lift...It is so old the original design has faded..This is a perfect solution!

Jen Gilday said...

I did something so similar last year, and again this year, for gifts. Check out my blog for the post, if you are interested.

http://athomeinthenorthwest.blogspot.com/2011/11/personalized-doormat.html

I love how you did yours though - might have to try that out next time! Spray paint sounds easier than hand painting with craft paint!!

Thanks for the idea! It'll be fun to alter the way I paint mine next time!

Love your blog!

Jen
athomeinthenorthwest.blogspot.com

Hudsonchris said...

great post

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover