Wednesday, May 28, 2014

no electrician needed...swing arm lamp


I have a thing for swing arm lamps, in fact I have two in the bathroom, and two in 
our bedroom and now this one in the kitchen! They're a classic and in my book you can't 
go wrong including one or five in your mix. I knew I wanted to incorporate one in our recent
kitchen makeover, but the only spot available was the side of this cabinet I use as a desk
area. Since I was working on a budget and didn't want to hire an electrician I figured I could
 use a plug-in lamp and weave the cord through the cabinet down to the outlet 
(my cabinet has an electrical outlet inside) and save myself some $$ for something more
 fun like a stone planter head. :) 


I found the Beragamo Black Shade Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp at
Lamps Plus. I couldn't love it more, high quality, beautiful weathered brass finish,
the wide range of motion and one of my favorite features, a dimmer.


Here's how I accomplished it...


First, we need to remove the electrical cord from the lamp itself. 
 The two ivory electrical wires need to be disconnected (cut) from the lamp guts
 (sorry I don't know the technical name for those two wires below #1 & #2).
 Before cutting the wires be sure to mark them with tape so you're able to easily reattach
 them to the correct wire.


This allows you to slip the ivory wires out of the hole on the bottom of the brass plate. 


Align the back plate where you'd like your lamp placed on the wall/cabinet,
and mark the center hole for drilling. 


Drill a small hold through the cabinet. 


You're going to work your way down to the outlet drilling small holes through the
 shelves, your configuration may be different, but the basic idea is the same. 


Plug your cord into the outlet, and working backwards thread the opposite end of the cord
through the drilled holes until you reach the first hole you drilled through the cabinet.
 To keep my cord neat I tacked it down along the way.



 Now you're ready to re-connect the wiring.
It's as simple as matching up your taped wires  #1 with #1 and #2 with #2.
Fasten the wires together with twist on plastic wire connectors. (Orange cap)


Secure the brass plate per manufacturer's insturctions, all that was needed for this lamp 
was one screw on each side. 


I love that it's not your typical lamp found in a kitchen and the ambiance
when the kitchen is cleaned up and closed for the night...I wish.  
The kitchen never closes with a teenager!

I'll see you here tomorrow for Best of the Nest!
Can't wait to see what you've been working on! 

25 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

love your choice- it's perfect! love the black and gold! :)

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

The lamp itself is so gorgeous, and I love your smart wiring through the cabinet! We have talked about doing something like this with my bookcases, there is an outlet on that wall. Thanks for showing me how! I bet it looks so pretty at night, especially since it can be dimmed!

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Great idea, Pam! I've done similar trickery before :)

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Wow!!! It looks great, Pam! I sent your link to the Mister with a note "can you do this?" He hates when I get great ideas from other bloggers! Have a wonderful day.

unmitigated me said...

Those two white wires are the neutrals, and you use them if there are lights wired to a switch, or to other electrical items, like the plugs in the wall. I love that you were willing to tackle this!

Unknown said...

Great job! I love swing arm lamps, too and this one is fabulous. xo Nancy

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

So so clever Pam :) I love swing arm lamps too. Great job explaining it too. Dave used to be an electrician so I lucked out having one in the house permanently ;) xo Kristin

Kathy Olson said...

You have such good ideas. I also have to say that I LOVE that tray on your counter with the jars holding your kitchen tools. You have beautiful taste.

Simply LKJ said...

Love it! Love the extra lighting, but the fact that it does not take up precious counter space.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I never would have thought of that. It looks perfect and I'm with you - you can never have enough swing arms. :)

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

You are so clever! And I couldn't agree more about swing arm lamps - love them so much! Yours looks perfect in your beautiful new kitchen!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

I love the little unexpected surprise that swing arm adds to the kitchen, and it's a beauty!

Bmore Bungalow said...

Beautiful lamp. Love that you decided to go with a black shade.

Scribbler said...

Good heavens, I am so impressed with your wiring skills. I would probably burn the house down. Love your planter head man!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

It's Great! I love the thinking out of how you DID it!

Charlotte said...

I love swing lamps...and I love your black and gold lamp. I've always been afraid to tackle wiring but I have a better understanding now that you've explained everything so thoroughly. Thanks

home before dark said...

Well you came out swinging on this one. Great idea and great execution...and no electrocution! Love swing arm lamps: classic, simple, elegant, useful.

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

Love it! And it's the most gorgeous kitchen task light I have ever seen.

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

I'm so impressed with your technical skills! That looks looks ideal there.

Dana Frieling said...

You're one smart cookie! I'd love for a few of these sconces to find a place in my own home. Love it!

Alexandria White said...

I'm impressed! I can't do this by myself. Love the final result and every single detail in your home. You have my admiration!
Chelsea end of lease cleaning

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

I love it too...great idea!

Vel Criste said...

Fabulous Tutorial that I can show my husband! hurray! Thanks Genius Pam!

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

Hey there Ms Brilliant! 1 the light is perfect for the space and 2 I love your problem solving. This puppy may just be going in my kitchen too!!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love the lamp and great idea on installing it...You just gave me an idea for one in my bathroom!!! Looks wonderful!!

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover