Sunday, April 29, 2012

diy rope vase


Hope you all had a fun filled weekend!
Did you all call up your pals and invite them over for a little Cinco de Mayo fiesta?

If you're on track and want to make the rope covered vase as a centerpiece,
 I have good news. It is SO easy!! 
  Here is my version of Martha's rope covered urn I showed you last week.



I did a mock up of the Cinco de Mayo table for you so I can share a couple
 ideas before the actual fiesta! If you missed the menu and recipes, go here.

Here it as the centerpiece,  
for ours I'll include bright red, yellow and orange flowers with the greenery.
(For you I brought in spirea and cuttings from a tree in our yard)  

For height I used a basket and turned it upside down, the sombreros were
from the Dollar Store a few years ago.


I love the idea of drinks ready and waiting on ice, you can avoid that hectic time
 when you're trying to get everyone situated with drinks and still greet arriving guests.
I'll prepare the margaritas with crushed ice and have limes available on the table 
and invite everyone to help themselves.  I still haven't figured out how I could do salt. :)  


When serving buffet style it's easiest if the napkins and silverware are wrapped together,
make sure to put them at the end of the serving line, not the beginning.
I used a terra cotta pot and wrapped them with twine.
I brought out my flagstone pavers again for a rustic touch.
(If you missed it I used them last Thanksgiving here.)


With the extra rope from your project you can wrap additional vases.
When you're doing your grocery shopping grab an extra bunch of cilantro and add to
a vase as greenery on your table.
We'll serve the customary chips, salsa and ceviche for munching.


Onto the diy... 
 I chose this glass vase from the TJ Maxx clearance rack, it was $7 and I'm hoping
when I tire of the rope I can remove it and the glue and still have a usable vase.


The Manila Rope is 1/4" x 50'  $5.50 at Home Depot,
you'll need two.


Couldn't be easier, using your glue gun secure the rope and keep wrapping and gluing...


...and wrapping and gluing.


Dang! Run to Home Depot to get more rope!
For reference my vase is 14" tall and 27" in circumference.


Ta da!
  You really don't notice the difference in shades of rope in person.



It's a quick project, probably an hour or so putting it together.
  It would even be a fun, unique Mother's Day gift!

Join me at

 Uncommon Slice of Suburbia's Tuesday Treasures here
Home Stories A to Z Tutorials & Tips here
Southern Savvy Wow us Wednesdays here
The Shabby Nest Frugal Friday here
At the Picket Fence Inspiration Friday here

27 comments:

Lori said...

Oh my goodness, your tablescape belongs in Bon Apetite! And I love the vase! Your talents are endless. I never would have thought of the cilantro idea. Have a wonderful fiesta!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

That looks awesome!!! I have a vase just like that. Don't you mean 27" tall and 14" in circumference? My vase has water stains so this would be great to cover them up.

Anonymous said...

I love this project! Your vase looks incredible.

Carolyn
{my simple messterpiece}

pam {simple details} said...

The vase really is 14" tall and 27" circumference. The circumference is deceiving.

Dana@Makethemwonder said...

You've worked your magic, yet again! Hurray for an easy diy project. Seems like everything is wrapped in rope these days...I'm a fan!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

How great is that vase? I love it. Now Im looking around to see what I can glue rope to! You are a genius at tablescapes, Pam1
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Terrific! The texture is fantastic and it would look great even empty on a bookshelf. Your table is beautiful...love the drippy candles. What a fun party!

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

The styling of your table is simply amazing! I love that you used thicker rope for the big vase. Very cool!

Keeping It Cozy said...

Your vase looks fabulous!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Pam, I love your ideas!!!
The margaritas all ready to go are so fun, I can't stand it!!
The terra cotta planter and combination of napkin fabrics all set the stage so well. You are so creative.

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

Dang! I just gave my borrowed glue gun back! I'll have to go buy one now so that I can tackle this easy project. Yours is even better than the inspiration!

Unknown said...

Of course your table is killer and the vase is incredibly clever! Made the coleslaw from the menu you shared for a "Cinco Pot Luck" 'twas yummy.

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

Pam - I LOVE THIS. I would like to try it on some lamps or something. This is AWESOME. YOu are so clever. I'd like to come over for cinco de mayo - your table looks scrumptious with those colors! Wish you were closer! Also would have to get a personal tutorial on the tree-shaping!!

B

Micah said...

Your table setting is gorgeous! I love that it is definitely Cinco but not overboard. Very classy, and I love it!

Leslie said...

Pam,

So much to look at today! I love your table. All the greens, the limes, margaritas ready-to go.. all wonderful. The DIY vase looks amazing, a change from traditional glass or ceramic.

Enjoy the start to your week!

leslie

Unknown said...

It looks SO great! I have been wanting to do something similar for a while. Yours looks so great, I guess I'll have to try it! I love your blog, and enjoy checking in to see your latest project!

Cassie Bustamante said...

that looks awesome!!! what a unique idea! so beachy- i can see two of those on a mantle... pretty!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

That's cool! I may just have to try that!

Anonymous said...

This is such a terrific project. I can't wait to go get my supplies! Thank you.

Gretchen

Holly Gruszka said...

Oh my...you've done it again! What a party! Ok, fly me out there and have my 3 margaritas ready. My mouth is watering just thinking about this. And the rope vase? You're so good!

Danielle said...

This is so cool and looks so hard, but sounds like it is easy. Love it!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I love this! So pretty and looks like something I could do :) Thanks for linking up, enjoy your week.
XO
Kristin

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

Pam, it turned out SO great!!! I love how you are incorporating it for Cinco de Mayo, so much fun!

Olive said...

Love this and the curvy shape of the bottle and it's height makes the rope show off better.

anna2 said...

Discover the incredible Youtube promotion solution I stumbled upon for my channel, Decor Buddys! As someone deeply invested in sharing captivating insights about interior design, I found myself grappling with the enigmatic YouTube algorithm – akin to attempting to craft without the essential blueprint. Then, amid my exploration of online design communities, a post surfaced extolling the virtues of a YouTube promotion service that had revolutionized fellow creators' decor-themed channels.

RED ARROW said...

Interesting, but I would rather play some slots in my spare time.

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover