Tuesday, April 3, 2012

simple tie-dyed frosting


You know by now if it's simple, and has a little style, I love it!
Today I'm sharing my method for frosting Easter cookies to give them this tie-dye look.



Prepare a batch of your favorite sugar cookie recipe.
I'm sentimental when it comes to items from my grandparents,
 I love using their everyday items in our home wherever I can.
My flour scoop, bowl, and embroidered towel belonged to my sweet grandma.


This is all about 'the method,' so any favorite frosting recipe will work,
you just want the consistency thin enough to drizzle from a fork.

I like my colors pastel, start with one drop of food coloring per 1/2 cup white frosting.
Adjust accordingly. I ended up using 2 drops to achieve these hues.


Place your cookies close together on a cooling rack.


Dip a fork into the frosting and...DRIZZLE!
Back and forth, circles, horizontal, vertical, the point is: anything works.


If you stop mid-stream to take a photo and get a glob, no worries! 

Baking tip:  If you like big soft cookies, roll them out to 1/4" thickness and remove from
 the oven before the edges get brown. My recipe says to bake 8-10 min., I do 7 minutes. 



Continue with the remaining colors, I do all of one color before going on to the next.
Make sure you frost them sufficiently, then sprinkle while wet!


Aren't they cute?


A simple cellophane bag and pretty ribbon makes it a fun delivery
 to a friend, neighbor or teacher!


Enjoy!


Join me at Mangia Mondays here!

 

15 comments:

Lori said...

How pretty! Can't wait to try these. I love grandma's baking supplies-how very sweet!

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

These cookies look so easy and foolproof! I will have to give them a try. They will make a great hostess gift!

Tracey@Breathing English Air said...

Pretty and delicious! What more could you ask for?

Anonymous said...

Those are some fabulous looking cookies. Too clever!!

Carolyn
{my simple messterpiece}

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Those are lovely! And you are right, that is a simple method. I really should do this with my girls!

Holly Gruszka said...

These are so pretty and the perfect gift too. I love cookies with icing.

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

These are so cute! I would LOVE a frosted sugar cookie this morning!!! :)

Dana Frieling said...

You definitely have a talent for making the most simple things look beautiful!

Amanda said...

So when can I come over and have a cup of tea and some cookies? they look so yummy!!

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

These look so yummy! I wish you were my neighbor! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I already have sugar cookie dough in my refrigerator and I know my grandchildren would love the look of your cookies.

Gretchen

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Looks yummy, pretty, and....SIMPLE!!! Fun idea!

Caitlin C. said...

These are the CUTEST cookies, I love them! I'm going home for Easter and I just may have to make these :)

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

How pretty and perfect for Easter! I hope I have time this weekend to make these with my kids. If not I'll definitely be using your tie-dye method on cupcakes that I already baked & froze - I love the affect of the drizzle! The little baggie and ribbon make it so festive.....and I just love that you use your grandmother's scoop, bowl and dishtowel!!!

SSM said...

Awesome. Love them.

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover