Thursday, April 23, 2015

living room refresh


Who knew a couple innocent little Craigslist purchases would create such a
staggering domino effect! I've been arranging and re-arranging furniture for the past
 two months, hauling it downstairs and back up and have come to the realization that
clearly we need a bigger house! :)
 I thought I'd share a few of the changes to our living room so far.


Remember when these vintage chairs popped up on Craigslist, and I couldn't resist them?
 I always knew a pair of chairs would fit perfectly in our bay window, and they did, but it
was the beginning of a domino effect I didn't see coming! The sofa had always been there
 and the only other option for it was against the wall - I wasn't sure what I'd think, but I'm
 loving the new look after placing the mirror from the dining room above it and creating
 an eclectic gallery wall.  



I love how the bay windows are more visible without the sofa obstructing the view, and
 the comfy down cushioned chairs tuck into the space and create the best reading nook.
 

As much as I loved the bold floral pattern I was a little skeptical if it would mix with
 what I had. You guys know I don't stray far from my neutral base so I can change things
 up on a whim. Well, it all came together and the only new items I bought were the citron
 ikat pillow and the artwork on the bottom right.
Remember the day I showed you how to shop Goodwill, both were finds from that
 outing, the coral chevron ikat pillow was a steal from there last year that inspired
  my family room spiff up.

(sorry about some of these bad pics, my weather app didn't forecast clouds till later)


I dug out this DIY Rope Vase I made a couple years ago for my Cinco de Mayo party
  centerpiece. I love the texture and the casual vibe keeps some of the traditional pieces
 from looking too stuffy.  
 

The other irresistible find that added to the chaos was this HUGE ornate mirror,
 originally finished in a dark stain giving it a heavy appearance. I lightened it up
 with two coats of Gold Rub 'n Buff, applying with a toothbrush so it still had some
 variation in color vs a solid painted look. See below.
My  DIY framed batik gallery wall that was here is piled in the dining room in the process
 of being re-hung, the good news is it gives the room a fun unexpected jolt of color, looks
 great with the chairs, and ties everything together without being matchy!  
 

You can see the finish on the mirror here, I'm still tweaking it, I think it needs a few
more brighter highlights throughout.
 The shelf and greenery hide our thermostat. :) It worked before, but now looks a bit off,
the thought of an ugly thermostat right there in the middle of the wall gives me hives!




Progress should be picking up over here after the One Room Challenge is over in
 just two short weeks! I'm thinking of having a sale and parting with a few
Craigslist treasures ~ you'll be the first to know!



30 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Isn't it amazing how things that you love have a way of working in your home? The chairs look perfect in front of the bay window and the mirrors bounce all your natural light around the room, so pretty and such a dramatic statement, both of them! The chairs have so many pretty colors in them, I'm sure you will still find plenty of ways to change up your room with pillows and accessories!

Cassie Bustamante said...

WOW! your living room looks gorgeous and i love the new arrangement. i love the new mix of colors, and those chairs are just perfect!!!

Nancy's Notes said...

What a beautiful room full of charm! I am so crazy about the colors you've chosen and those chairs are just wonderful! Oh my, love that mirror too. I just love it all~ Can't imagine needing much more! I'm sure anything else you do will be pure perfection~

Nancy

Andrea said...

Pam, everything looks lovely! I would have snagged those chairs in a heartbeat. I love how you are able to mix pattern and styles. You are truly gifted.

René said...

Love this arrangement Pam! Great gallery wall too.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love those mirrors, they look amazing and the entire room is looking fabulous.

Unknown said...

House Beautiful! I love the idea of the bay window being a more visible reading nook. The soft gold on your statement mirror is perfect. Also love the cute little foot stool for texture! Nobody does it better.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Pam, This room is beautiful and I love the mirrors!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Pam..its coming along..I like the new look and the mirror painted gold looks fab!

Carrie said...

Your house is looking so beautiful, Pam! I love these changes--the mirrors and art, the rope vase, the new chairs in the window--it is the perfect mix of traditional and welcoming. And good tip about using a toothbrush with the rub-n-buff, I'm going to try that. :)

Robin Alley said...

Love, love, love!!! Everything looks amazing and just perfect! You are so incredibly talented. If you ever come to Michigan, I would love to have you over and help me do a refresh. Thank you for your continued inspiration!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Fabulous!!! I love the arrangement. The chairs in the bay window are made for that spot! .....and....that floor mirror......gorgeous!!!
xo
Patty

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Oh my goodness, that must have taken forever to r&b that mirror with a toothbrush! I've done some smaller frames that way and your arm definitely gets a little work out. Buff arms for summer, huh? Love your refresh!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Love the thrifty domino effect!!!

Unknown said...

This room is the stuff decorating dreams are made of! So gorgeous and those wingbacks are the most fantastic CL find!

Debra C said...

Beautiful! I love it!

cindy hattersley design said...

Honestly Pam you are a genius. You have talent coming out of your seams. I am constantly in awe of you...

Casa Vilora Interiors said...

I love this room! I seriously need a crash course in Craigs List shopping from you

Unknown said...

How in the world did you have time to do this along with all of your ORC work? I absolutely love the new look - perfect!!

The enchanted home said...

Beautifully done!

My Notting Hill said...

Love it. So true about the domino effect; you mastered yours beautifully! I emptied out our family room to be painted and now I plan on only bringing half of it back - you've given me alot of inspiration.

Vel Criste said...

Those chairs are worth all the changes Pam! The whole room looks totally new and well-curated!!!! Love all the details!

Crazy Wonderful said...

Everything is so perfectly blended and layered, I'm so digging it! And the mirror is kicking major butt in there!!!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Oh Pam I hope you don't part with anything from your living room because it looks STUNNING!! Love love love the gallery wall over your sofa and I love your two new wing chairs especially that fabric!

Unknown said...

Love your LR tour and that gorgeous huge mirror. I still love that rope covered vase so much, gotta do that. Hope your spring lasts a long time, cause all of your blossom branches are so beautiful in your rooms! xo Nancy

Unknown said...

The updates are gorgeous Pam! So fresh and Loove the chairs!

Kim @Tidbits&Twine said...

I am obsessed with your living room refresh! It came out beautifully!!

Unknown said...

LOVE the mirror. And it looks SO much better in the "lighter" gold finish.

Sophia said...

What fabric options do I have for making eyelet curtains for my living room?
I have a sewing machine and am planning on making curtains for my living room. I would like some guidance from someone who sews and/or has specific knowledge regarding fabrics. I am not interested in sheer or shiny fabrics. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Teresa said...

You can also set up different drawing table as per your room decoration. You can find several designs to set up. It also has other accessories items to make a living room stunning.

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover