Monday, March 2, 2015

trash to treasure 2


Do you get overwhelmed or underwhelmed when you stop in a thrift store?
Come along and I'll show you how I navigate, what to look for and how
to incorporate it into your decor.

A few things I spied to create an eclectic mix...
The indigo tablecloth is AMAZING!  $3.99
World Market pillow and small canvas both $3.99
Large 1939 artwork - $35

I know this looks like the most un-inspiring pile of garbage...


...BUT down on the third shelf I noticed this gorgeous hand painted wooden bowl - $3.99


AND hidden under the turkey roaster was this brass tray 15" x 23" - $3.99.


I'm not finished with it yet, but it's cleaning up nicely with Bar Keepers cleaner.


More artwork...you could easily have the beginnings of a gallery wall with these
old prints, $3.99 each.  


How pretty would this be on a nightstand to hold jewelry,
in your bathroom or just laid on top of a pile of books - 99 cents!


I love using miniature vases at individual place settings with a single flower stem or
sprig of greenery. It's simple to put together a unique collection - .99 cents each.


Looks like your run of the mill vases you find everywhere (don't be fooled), that tall brass
 crane back there looks interesting?


Here's the artwork I showed you in the first photo, the crane, three pretty vases (.99 each)
and the brass tray. Oh, and wouldn't this media cabinet make a great bar!
(Do you see my new friend I wrangled into helping me? He was a gem and showed me 
all his photos of his latest finds ~ come to find out he has great taste, and is quite the thrifter!)    



It would be easy to replicate this with those glass bottles I found amongst the boring ones. :)

bhg.com

This great brass and glass side table and chair were right next to the media cabinet so I
 just propped a few things up to give you an idea.


Another ho-hum collection, or is it?
 (Oh my gosh I'm just now noticing that pretty green tea pot in the back!)


Did you see this black lacquer and gold leaf look tray and the Fitz and Floyd cup and
 saucer (love the geometric pattern). They'll be great for creating the look below for a fun
 client I have.



theinspiredroom.net

I didn't bring home all that I showed you, but I can't wait to share some of the
 finds and how I'll be using them for myself and clients!
Hope you're inspired to poke around your local store.
Happy thrifting, friends!





29 comments:

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

Great post! It takes a creative eye to weed through the stuff at thrift stores and find the gems. This is a great tutorial to show people the potential that is there!

Jenny said...

I haven't stalked a thrift store in awhile - adding it to my list (perhaps when I finally haul in my load of donations! :-)

sarah m. dorsey said...

Great post!! :)

Denise Greenwood said...

Love this! It depends on the day for me. Some days I can go in and not see a thing because I look right past it all and other days my eyes are tuned to the right things! Looks like you've got a great store there! :)

southern seazons said...

I was wondering which Goodwill you found all the items at? The two that are near me at Simms/Belleview and Pierce/Coalmine usually don't have that nice of things that cheap.

Dana Frieling said...

You'd better watch out, that thrift store's going to try to hire you to create their displays!!

PolkaDottyPlace said...

Your thrifting posts are always SO inspiring!! Makes me want to head to my local thrift shops ASAP. Can't wait to see what you ended up bringing home - I loved that big frame, tray and the little vases.

pam {simple details} said...

Hi Jody - I was at the Wadsworth & Florida location. Have fun!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I love to thrift!! Can't wait to see what came home with you Pam!

Unknown said...

Such pretty finds, Pam. The tray is beautiful. I think with your styling skills, you could make a tub of butter look stylish!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Great post. I love to sniff around thrift stores to see what gems I can find.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Ooooh I love posts like this! I would give anything to go thrift store hunting with you and see you in action!!! I can only see what I'm in the market for....you have such a great eye and see the potential in so many cast offs - I love your gift!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Love it! I haven't had a good thrifting day in a while. However, I just discovered that they're putting in a new Goodwill a mile away... Yippee! I might be in trouble. There really aren't any thrift stores close to me, I have to go across town, so I'm excited!

Cassie Bustamante said...

wow, pam! what great finds!!! i adore that tablecloth! as you may have guessed. ;)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Looks like you have a great GW....mine not so great...wonder how many things actually make it to the shelves...Looking forward to your great finds...you always spot those diamonds among the stones!

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

Clearly, your Craigslist and Thrifting options are a cut above what's available in my area! Unfortunately, most of the thrift stores in my area have jacked up the prices comparable to an antique store or boutique. Actually my best finds now are coming from booths at antique malls that are having a sale or going out of business!

Unknown said...

You have totally made me want to head out for some treasure hunting! You have a gift:)

Lori T. said...

My thrift store is jacking up prices as well, but I love yours. It looks huge, and I spotted so many goodies I would have grabbed. :-)

Carrie said...

You have such a good eye, Pam! I love what you found!!

Brenda said...

Yikes! Just when I am trying to control my addiction to thrift shopping, you have a fabulous post like this. I like that painting you found - good size, good frame, good price - what's not to love? You are my thrift store/Craigslist idol and I love that you share your creative eye. Your clients are lucky to have you.

Julie said...

I love that tray! We have a decent Goodwill near our home, so I stop by there occasionally. I also like to use little vessels and decanters as bud vases. Great post, Pam!

Leslie @ Segreto Secrets said...

I love the cobalt blue plate! You're right, would be beautiful on a vanity or beside table for jewelry!!
xo. Leslie
Segreto Finishes

Vel Criste said...

Definitely inspiring Pam!!!!

Unknown said...

Dang, you found some pretty killer finds amongst all that junk! I'm especially drooling over that tablecloth!

Tania Pelletier said...

Well how fun was this!? I love shopping the thrift stores, you just never know what you will find!

Tania

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

WOW! And I love that blue plate!

Letting Fear Go said...

Oh my! I am terrible at seeing the potential at thrift stores. It usually just overwhelms me. But I like the tips you have given here to see the unique things in a different way like the vases and the black and gold tray. I'll keep them in mind the next time I go thrifting!

Linda said...

I found a little 99 cent Longaberger miniature collectors basket last time I went thrifting! Heres my post:

http://truthfultidbits.blogspot.com

Your post makes me want to go thrifting again today! :) But I need to look with a trained eye...so that I can see the possibilities like you do.

Have a great day!
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Allison said...

I have to ask: Where are your favorite places to thrift in Denver?? I live here, and am always looking for new thrift stores as I feel like I sometimes fall into a rut...!

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover