Wednesday, November 7, 2012

diy monogram tote bag


I know you all love a simple, inexpensive diy,
 and this one works for a teacher, neighbor, hostess or family.
First, the credit for getting me motivated goes to Shauna @ Satori Design for Living,
she came up with the idea, and asked a few bloggers if we'd like to do a project a week for
 three weeks in November, this is our first, and we we had to use fabric paint or medium.
I was stuck and time was running out until I came across Ashley Ann from The Sycamore Tree,
on Pinterest. Her monogram tote bag was perfect, I knew it was what I wanted to do.
I also found out she has SO much more to offer than a clever tote bag, she's a mom of five, photographer extraordinaire and will definitely be a new daily read,
 here is yesterday's post, and here is her tote.

Pretty enough without wrap...


I loved the generous size, sturdy reinforced straps, zippered top ~ great quality.


Sneak a small gift or gift card in the front pocket.


Make one for a family or hostess and it present it with their gifts inside.



Supplies:
Tote Bag $6.60, Fabric Paint .99, 8" Doily, Freezer Paper
(I used a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby, Michaels has similar totes)


Print out your initial using your favorite font and size.


Trace the letter on the dull side of freezer paper.


Place a piece of cardboard underneath, and cut it out using an Xacto knife.


Using an iron press the freezer paper onto your tote bag,
being sure to secure the edges well.


I used a stencil brush, but you could use a foam brush, be sure to use load your brush
 with a small amount of paint and dab it on a paper towel first.


When it's dry (approx. 1 hour) center the doily on top of the monogram and stencil.
You can use stencil adhesive to adhere the doily or carefully hold it in place.


Remove and smile at your simple project!


Don't miss the great projects created by these four ladies, I'm anxious to
see what they did with their fabric paint... 

Tiffany @ Living Savvy-  here 
Lesley & Denise @ Chaotically Creative- here
Aimee @ It's Overflowing- here  
Shauna @ Satori Design for Living - here 

Don't forget the inspiration...Ashley Ann's tote bag here.

Join me @  Kate's on Dec. 6th

holiday home link parties

The Nester's Christmas Craft Party here.

25 comments:

Sadie + Stella said...

As a side note, LOVE your leopard chair. LOVE!

Cassie Bustamante said...

adorable! i am a huge fan of the doily stencil around it!

Unknown said...

All right, hold the phone, is that a new dining room chair?? Let us know asap..it is sooooooo spectacular! The tote is wonderful too and a great DIY gift, but that chair has me reeling Pam!
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Sew a Fine Seam said...

That is awesome Pam! Love how it looks so high end with the addition of the doily stencil!

Dana Frieling said...

Super cute! This would make a great teacher gift too. Guess it's time to start thinking about those. You're always good for a great idea/inspiration.

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

I totally love this bag! It is perfect to tote all of my client samples, paper and supplies! I love the Dollie... thought not typically a dollie person the placement made it super modern!

Cotton said...

This would also be the perfect gift bag to put another present in! I love the idea!

Danielle said...

This is such a great idea! I love it x

Shauna@Satori Design for Living said...

Love the simplicity of the monogram with the "lace" detail, and I can see why everyone is commenting about the chair- fabulous! Thanks for participating.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Very cute....great idea!

designchic said...

I'm completely obsessed - not crafty at all, but may give this one a try, Pam. Thanks for the idea!!

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

Great little project! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Unknown said...

I am impressed but know mine would never look like that. I am just illiterate at crafts!

ChaoticallyCreative said...

Wow, to both of you ! I like the one with the black straps and the one without. I think you have just helped me out with Christmas because I am on a super tight time crunch and budget. These are beyond cute. And I love initial crafts, who doesn't? Nice job!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh...this turned out so cute!!! Perfect gift...if you're willing to part! XO, Aimee

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

The bag is so cute! Isn't freezer paper stenciling the best? I have never done the doily stenciling but have always wanted to try it somewhere. Great idea for dressing up the bag!!

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

Oh you are speaking my language with this post..... love it all..... wish someone would give this to me! :)

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I love it!!!

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

This is absolutely adorable. What a fabulous gift for the holidays!

René said...

Oh I love this! Might have to try it myself.

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

So so cute! What a perfect gift!

Unknown said...

Absolutely darling! What I love most is the styling for the photo, seriously Pam, I think you have a calling!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Such a cute project, Pam, and your styling makes it look even better! What a great go-to gift idea! I think I need to keep a few supplies for this one on hand. It would be super for little birthday gifts for friends throughout the year.

Amanda said...

ok LOVE the bag- but I couldnt keep my eye off your leopard chair!! hello gorgeous!!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Great idea! I have a million of these totes my husband brings home from meetings, etc.

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover