Tuesday, September 16, 2014

the $89 (in gas money) nate berkus knock off


You've probably seen the new Nate Berkus Fall Line at Target, this Serpent Bowl in 
particular has been all over blogs, and it's a beauty at only $20. I'm cursed blessed with
that DIY mindset that cannot look at anything without wondering if I could 'make it'
on my own for less. Add 'Blogger' to that and in my mind I have to 'get on it fast'
or someone else will come up with the same idea, post it first, their idea will set Pinterest
 on fire and I'll be sitting there holding my $1 DIY Gold Serpent!   


It couldn't be easier - find a toy rubber snake, paint it gold, coil it up 
 and glue it to a bowl. Done in about an hour! 

How it really went down... 
I found a snake at Dollar Tree, but it was smaller than I was hoping for, more stiffly
 coiled plastic vs flexible rubber, and a hollow underside. So, I proceeded to hunt down the
 perfect serpent, and went to Big Lots, Walmart, Target, Disguises Halloween Costumes,  
Petco (where they looked at me like I was nuts) and a second Dollar Tree. 
This is beyond embarrassing - I also went to Ross, TJ Maxx and Goodwill looking 
for the perfect bowl. At this point I began wondering about my sanity and if this was
what my life had come to and went home and used the Dollar Tree snake and a vase
I had. I could never get the bowl right so it isn't even a 'true' knock off, the snake is just
wrapped around a vase. But, I'm good with that because I love Nate and Target and I was
feeling really guilty trying to knock off his $20 bowl. It's not a $1,000 Horchow table!



 As you look at it I'm sure you're in awe of how much time and gas I wasted on it.
Thank goodness for styling and flowers from my garden, which make it look somewhat
ok. Also, I'm sure a huge percentage of you are just cringing at the thought of using a snake 
in your decor! Not one of my most efficient uses of time, but I truly love the edginess of it
 against my more traditional pieces, and the serpent was only $1. Woo hoo!

And, the detailed tutorial if you'd like to make your own... :)

Paint a plastic coiled snake from Dollar Tree, I used Martha Stewart Liquid Guilding
because it was what I had on hand, but you could easily use spray paint. Coil around
your favorite vessel.




     If you'd like to check out some of my 'true' knock offs just click on the title:




30 comments:

Brandi said...

Well, I think your "knockoff" is pretty neat. I like the idea. I bet it would make a nice addition to a Halloween mantle.

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

Oh my stars, you had me laughing. I can just imagine you driving all over town. I am surprised at how much I like the snake on the vase. It is like jewelry! Awesome job. I would totally copy it!

Cassie Bustamante said...

i think this is so fun! and i love that you didn't totally knock i off but created an inspired by type of look! :) LOVE it, pam! put a snake on it.

Cindy @ a curious gardener said...

Ha, you are funny, gave me a chuckle! Love the anemones in the Nate inspired vase, clever lady.

Denise Greenwood said...

Thank you Pam for making me laugh this morning! I'm sure we have all hunted around for something like that! :) I like it - it's unexpected and fun!!

Robin Stephens Kitchen Connections said...

Haha... Love the well-written post far better than the snake! Splendid job, though....and my guess is as you traveled all over the "world" to find said snake, you had fun window shopping! Retail therapy is worth its weight in gold........or a gold snake! Bravo!

Peggy said...

Pam, I love you but this truly freaked me out! I saw the snake bowl at Target and was creeped out.... completely and truly. Yep I HATE, ABHOR, LOATHE, DESPISE, and greatly DISLIKE snakes! ugh.... but your story was really, really funny! and what makes it even funnier is up until a few days ago we had just the rubbery longer snake you were looking for and trust me I would have gladly sent it too you. Anything other than finding it in my garden beds, in the garage just under the car, or any of the other myriad of locations my family likes to plant it. Thats okay because I told the boy I would bring out the toy tarantula if he didn't knock it off... ;-) I know his weakness. ha ha ha... (cue maniacal laugh) He made the right decision when he put it in the trash. Have a great day!

Dana Frieling said...

You are hilarious! Now you have me wishing I hadn't given away all Reed's plastic snakes. He used to carry a "nakie" to church every single Sunday when he was 2 y.o. Honestly, I like your vase better than the bowl!

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

Oh my gosh it's so good!
I actually got a gold vintage necklace/belt from my mom this summer. Maybe I should do this with it until I wear it!!! Thanks for the idea Pam!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Sounds like you were on a "quest" to knock that off and it was worth it as it is fantastic!!!...love the way it coils up the vase!!....Amazing job as always!!

LJ said...

Okay, you've got me grinning ear to ear on this one. I almost lost it when you said you were starting to feel guilty about trying to knock off Nate's $20 bowl and it not being a $1000 horchow table! ha! Oh the pressures of being a DIY blogger! ;) I love a little unexpected in decor and I do love the goldness of the little charmer!

cindy hattersley design said...

That totally sounds like something I would do only my snake would end up looking like crap as well!!!

designchic said...

No way, Pam…that is genius!!

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

Your post gave me a good laugh - I've also had a few times when I've gone to do a knock-off and ended up spending more time and gas than if I had just gone out and bought it :) I am the biggest snake phobic on the planet so while I honestly think that your snake vase is super cool, I couldn't have it in my house because I'd feel obligated to walk 10 feet away from it every time I walked by. Yes, I'm that much of a snake scaredy cat!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Oh you are clever! Love your ideas!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Ha! You are so genius. I think that looks amazing. Very Cleopatra. I would never guess that sucker was rubber. Cheers to you.

Anonymous said...

Pam, I love it. I think it looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

So funny, Pam - definitely a curse/talent :) I like the look though, very Cleopatra!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Oh how I love your willingness to DIY anything!!!!! I'm a little creeped out by snakes after watching one eat a mouse on our deck steps a few years back, it took hours and was disgusting and I'm scarred for life, but I still love your creativity and ability to create the look for less! You really need your own show.

Unknown said...

This looks fantastic! I would maybe snip the plastic tongue off to make it a little more stylized, but I really like it!

Vel Criste said...

Hahaha! Your funny Pam! The only reason why you happen to end DIY-ing everything is because YOU CAN and YOUR SO GOOD AT IT!

Trisha Wray said...

Love your DIY spin on Nate's bowl. And, truth be told? I kinda like yours better. ;)

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

I HATE snakes but I must admit that is soooo cute! What a great job you did. You don't know how many times I have done something similar only to hear the hub say "why didn't you just buy the first one and save your time and effort?" and my daughter constantly asks "do you ever use any thing for its intended purpose or do you have to repurpose every thing you touch?" Obviously they don't get the "thrill" of the knock off at whatever cost! Well done my friend!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Sssssssssssimply marvelous!

Julie said...

I love this, Pam! I am so glad to know that someone besides myself would spend as much money on gas to create something as the original was worth, haha! But it's all about knowing how resourceful and creative we are, right? Actually, I really love your vase in that vignette. It's not creepy at all...it's chic!

ElevenGables said...

This post was hilarious! I saw the NB bowl in real life... you can't even see the snake when the bowl is on a table, so your knock off is a better design. :)

Gypsy Heart said...

Love your adventure! :) I don't think there's anything you can't DIY. I really had a very difficult time reading this...these creatures give me the heebie jeebies (my word!) and creep me out. Just wanted to say I laughed and of course, you did a wonderful job!

xo
Pat

Lauren said...

The first few lines of this are SO true to exactly how us crazy DIY bloggers think! LOVE it and your serpent vase is fun too!! xoxo, lauren

Cheap Assignment Writers said...

This is quite a good blog. Keep sharing. I love them. Are you also searching for writing assignments for nursing students we are the best solution for you. We are best known for delivering nursing paper writing services to students without having to break the bank.

Cheap Assignment Writers said...

Good blog.Are you also searching for Help With My Nursing Paper? we are the best solution for you. We are best known for delivering nursing writing services to students without having to break the bank.

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover