Wednesday, October 30, 2013

ikea hack...faux ostrich covered rast

You all know I love Ikea and diy, so this was inevitable... :)
You're going to love how super easy (PROMISE!) this Rast hack is.
If you've been following along with the One Room Challenge, the brainchild of
Linda @ Calling it Home, you know I'll be using two of these Ikea Rast chests as
nightstands in the makeover of my bedroom. If you'd like to see the progress before the
 big reveal next week you can check it out Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, Week 5.
and the Bedroom Reveal 
Btw, the bedroom has a totally different vibe, I just styled up a little corner for you.  


My inspiration was this amazing piece owned by designer Ryan Korban.


Here's how it went down:

The popular Ikea Rast 3 drawer chest for $34.99,
1 yard Vinyl Ostrich (Color - Ice) from Fabric Empire $19.99  
3 Brass Pulls from Re-Store $1.50 each 


Measure and drill for your hardware. 
Cut 3 pieces of fabric the exact size of the drawer fronts.



I used Spray Adhesive to adhere the vinyl per manufacturer's instructions. I'd highly suggest
 doing it outside, it's strong! I found it easiest to roll the piece up and begin at one end.


Press down and smooth out as you unroll the vinyl. This is quick and easy, and forgiving
if you need to lift it up and re-work it. When I finished it had stretched about a 1/4 of an inch
 beyond the edge of the drawer, I placed the drawer on a cutting mat and removed the extra
 using an X-acto knife.




When I got to this point and put my drawers in you could clearly see the edges of the pine
 showing between the drawers. I carefully peeled back a bit of the vinyl and went back
 and painted the edge of the drawers the same color as the vinyl then re-secured the edges of
the vinyl with my hot glue gun. 

DON"T DO WHAT I DID!!!
*** You should paint the edge BEFORE spraying the adhesive and attaching the vinyl*** 

I taped off the edges and used Martha Stewart's Liquid Gilding in Brass ($3.50 with coupon at Michaels, 1 container will cover 2 chests) on all the edges and the base at the bottom in front.
 Since you'll be covering the top you only need to apply it about an inch around the edge. 



While the liquid gilding is drying I attached the hardware. I used an oversize needle as a guide
and pushed it through the drilled hole from the back to the front of the drawer. Using an X-acto
 knife I cut a small circle from the vinyl for the screw to go through.

I had a piece of glass cut for the top 23" x 11 1/2" ($15) and used the glass as a template for
the piece of vinyl for the top. I didn't secure the vinyl, just placed it under the glass. 


I added 1 1/4" casters to the bottom, it took about 10 minutes! The pine is soft and I was
 able to screw them on without drilling. The wood at the base of the chest is about 1/2" wide
 and the base of caster about an inch, I only secured one side, it's not visible and very sturdy.
The casters were $7 for four, and already gold.   



The total cost per chest is $75.00.

You could easily use any thrifted piece of furniture to keep the cost down,
I chose the Ikea Rast because I wanted a narrow piece and it is 11 1/2".

  

If you'd like to check out another REALLY SUPER EASY hack I did: 

If you're not familiar with the One Room Challenge stop by the links above,
where you can find 20 bloggers making over their rooms in 6 weeks!
Crazy talent, you're in for a treat!
My final Bedroom Reveal here


55 comments:

Jen Gilday said...

I love it!! Especially love that you added casters. Perfect little touch.

Jen
athomeinthenorthwestblog.com

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

It's perfection, Pam! It is such a great hack of your inspiration piece, unbelievable!! I think this might be my favorite Rast hack I've seen yet! You are a DIY genius.

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

It's one of the best Rast hacks I've seen. Loving it so much!

Amanda said...

and once again you have hit it out of the park girl!!! This is one of the BEST Ikea hacks ever!!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Pam you out did yourself...it looks fabulous!! Love the pretty vignette too!

Kerry@homecrushblog.com said...

WOW! This is really gorgeous! Hard to believe it's the same piece after you worked your magic!

MONICA LIVAS said...

Awesome!

Cassie Bustamante said...

love them, pam! what a great idea and hack!

Dana Frieling said...

Can't wait to see it after you've let the ostrich "pale." ha! ha! Seriously, it's beautiful, you did an amazing job, Pam.

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

WOW!!!! It looks so high end. Love it!

Unknown said...

Love every little detail about this project, but especially the faux ostrich! The addition of the glass and the casters add lots to the final product too. Another great hack Pam, you never cease to impress!

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Fabulous hack, Pam! I really love how this came out. The texture of the faux-ostrich is great!

Unknown said...

Pam you are a bloody genius! Love your blog, so much inspiration. From your number one English fan,

Unknown said...

Pam, you have such great vision and the talent to execute it. A Rast never looked more gorgeous. Definitely a BOTB! Are you taking orders?!!

Lori

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

I love this so so much Pam :) Great hack! xo Kristin

Unknown said...

Great job. Love it.

Price Style & Design said...

This goes right to the top of the list of one of my favorite DIY's of all time! It looks AMAZING!

Blissful beginnings said...

Gorgeous job! I love your blog, and am your newest follower! I am a new blogger and would love if you could stop by!
http://blogging-with-bliss.blogspot.com

Ivy Lane said...

Very clever transformation of the chest of drawers. I LOVE it! Can't wait to see the final reveal.

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

LOVE THIS!! Love the ostrich, vintage hardware and casters. Genius.

Unknown said...

SO AMAZING!!!

Andrea said...

Once again, you have outdone yourself. I love the step by step instructions too. This piece looks so much more expensive than $75. Great job!

cindy hattersley design said...

Extremely clever and very chic! Great job!!

therelishedroost said...

Sooo awesome!! THat turned out so great... I think you should sell these!!
Karolyn

Michaela said...

This is AMAZING!! :)

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

PAM! You are an Ikea hack rock star! I never would have guessed that this piece started out as the rast. I'm REALLY ready to see everything finished!

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

This is great!! Love the faux ostrich.

Simply Modern Home said...

One of the best hacks I've seen!!! LOVE that ostrich!

Cindy @ a curious gardener said...

Goodness, Pam, you did a fantastic job! A set of them will look great in your new bedroom.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Wow!! Not only did you do an amazing job, seriously good...but you located the 'impossible to find' ostrich fabric. I love the idea of casters, too. Thanks for the mention, girly.

Dwellings by DeVore said...

I knew I would love this when you first mentioned you were doing it. It's beautiful and so unique! I love the look of ostrich and the texture it brings!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

love this one!! I mentioned it in my post today...This is a good one to keep in a DIY file!

Jacqueline said...

I am inspired! I have a few of these & keep meaning to do something with them. Great job!

Calypso In The Country said...

Wow Pam, I am so impressed! Gorgeous!
-Shelley

Vel Criste said...

Aaaaaahhhh!!! This is so fabulous Pam! Seriously, you should sell these and I'll buy!!!!!
I must try this ostrich on a side table, need to change mine, thanks for the inspiration!

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

This looks amazing!!! LOVE it! so so fabulous!

Shauna@Satori Design for Living said...

Drooling over here! You're giving me a new idea for my office makeover (but I think that project will have to wait)!

LiveLaughDecorate said...

Seriously lady? wow. I have no patience for hacking anything but hats off to you for making me do a double take! I CANNOT believe it's the same nightstand. Hats off to ya for sure!

The Pink Pagoda said...

This is fantastic, Pam! You're so talented. I had not idea this liquid gilding stuff exists. It looks very interesting!!

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

OMG this is amaaaazing!!!!!!!

charmaine said...

So impressed! Good job, Pam!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful Ikea Hack! I have been tempted to try the Martha Stewart version of liquid gold, I always buy the other brand. Can't wait to see it in your room!

Lexi said...

This looks AMAZING! Seriously, I am blown away. So cool!
xx Lexi, Glitter, Inc.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

You are the Queen of Ikea Hacking!...just stunning!...

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wow, Pam, I love it!

SHERRY HART said...

Pam....Holy Christmas. You are one talented girl....I am so damn impressed. It is beautiful and I know they are going to look fabulous in the room.

Melissa Moore said...

BLOWN AWAY!!! The piece looks so good! Love your Ikea hack-great job!!

A room with a view said...

The chest looks immaculate, Pam! I am not surprised - you are so very talented. Gorgeous! I love the gold contrast.

Lauren said...

I love how this project turned out!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

This is so amazing Pam! I'm so glad you found the right ostrich, it looks fabulous!!!

Tanja said...

Stunning!
Thank you for sharing this Fabulous project with all of us. I'm adding this IKEA hack to my list of projects. It will make a beautiful storage piece in my narrow entryway.

Chelsea said...

I stumbled upon your blog a couple weeks ago and I love it!! I am trying to make this dresser and was wondering if you painted the sides of the dresser (and if so--what color?) or did you cover it with the ostrich fabric? Thanks so much!

pam {simple details} said...

Hi Chelsea, I painted the sides a gloss white. Good luck with your project, I'd love to see it when you finish! :)

Justyna Szarek said...

could you do this on a laminate dresser from ikea??

pam {simple details} said...

Hi Justyna, I'm not sure, maybe you could find a scrap piece of laminate to test it out. At IKEA in the 'Bargain Section' I've seen laminate shelves super cheap. Good luck!

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover