Sunday, October 13, 2013

a collection of ideas for decorating two story walls...

Deciding how to decorate those vast two story walls can be so daunting that it's easier to 
leave them for another day. I've had a few people ask for ideas recently and thought
I'd share a some with everyone. Most importantly ~ it's all about scale! When you're
 working with a huge wall you simply need to use large items that aren't going to get lost.

The first three rooms show several common elements that work, 
large scale artwork, large scale armoire, large scale mirror,
 also notice the large scale lighting - and the recurring thread, large scale. :)

Chicago Home and Garden

Shaun Jackson
Heidi Johnston

1 ~ ADD OVERSIZED ART
curatedstyle.tumblr.com

Elle Decor
2 ~  INCLUDE A TALL ARMOIRE, HUTCH OR ETAGERE
Alisberg Parker Architects
 
mrshowardpersonalshopper.com
3 ~ ADD A COLLECTION OF DIMENSIONAL PIECES 

Jonathan Adler 
MHK Architecture & Planning
foryourconsidersation.blogspot.com
4 ~ ADD OVERSIZED MIRRORS

decorpad.com 
decorpad.com
Heather Garrett Design
5 ~ HANG A RUG OR TAPESTY
nostalgiainterior.blogspot.com
6 ~ INCLUDE ARCHITECTURAL INTEREST
House Beautiful
froghill designs
boshomes.com

I typically advise clients to leave niches like this one above the door empty,
 but I thought this was a fun idea...

 Ken Gemes Interiors

Hope that gives you some inspiration if you've got a big blank wall
on your to-do list!

If you like this post you might also like:
FRESHEN UP YOUR OLD BROWN SOFA

25 comments:

Divine Theatre said...

LOL! When we first bought our home I was like "Wow! We have 18 foot ceilings!"
Now I'm like "Ugh. We have 18 foot ceilings".
Thanks for the inspiration! I needed this!

xo

Andie

Scrappy Pink Corner said...

My favorite is definitely the niche over the door with the bicycle. Super unique. Would have never thought of something like that. Love that. Ana

Danielle said...

Such wonderful inspiration. I LOVE the ceiling in the first photo.

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

love this post --- what great ideas!!

Dana Frieling said...

Tall walls can be so baffling! One of your images totally has my wheels turning...hummm?! Thanks for the inspiration.

Julia Konya said...

Gosh how gorgeous and I really want that second photo's chandelier.

Andrea said...

I love all these ideas. Tall walls can be intimidating to decorate. Great inspiration, Pam!

therelishedroost said...

Wonderful choices here, I am a big lover of huge paintings ! I love some of the free form wall art here too!
Really great!
XO Karolyn

Unknown said...

Such a great lesson. Love the oversized mirrors, art, and architectural details. Thanks for sharing, Pam.

Lori

Leslie said...

I like your suggestions Pam! My room style is similar to the Heidi Johnston photo. I have an French mirror that I purchased from Annie Bahler years back that rests on my mantel. It's not as wide as the one pictured and so the scale is wrong.. making it difficult to work. Adding height on either end helps! Thanks Pam:) Enjoy your Monday!

Mallory | Confetti and Stripes said...

Great post! Most of my house is this way....including my ORC room...hmm now i thinking i need to rethink my art, ect! side note...How cute is that little girl on the sofa in her rain boots?!

StagerLinda said...

Pam, I think you were in my head! I was going to write a post on this same subject. LOVE your pictures and they are all great ideas. I will definitely use this as a reference. (The huge picture of the Nun is scary. HA!)

Nancy {at} powellbrower at home said...

BEAUTIFUL images Pam, I only have spotty Internet in Italy, so I'll have to dwell on them more when I return! Ciao! Have a great week!

Vel Criste said...

Wonderful post Pam! I have HUGE and tall walls in our living room area and I've always been boggled on what to put there, so like anyone else in my situation, its empty! I want to re-paint my entire space and truly in love with your first picture the most, I'm pinning that one for my future living room inspiration!Thanks!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

What inspirational ideas. This is surely a "keeper"!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Great topic to tackle, Pam. I wish I read this blog post 15 years ago….we lived in two houses with cathedral ceilings and they always posed a design dilemma to me! But you are so right - LARGE SCALE!!

Design_Fluff said...

These inspirational images are perfect!

Bervgirl said...

Oh thank you, thank you Pam. You know how vast my walls are...this is such a great post chugging full of ideas! I especially love the front door pic, but mostly because of the moldings...to die for!!!

Bervgirl said...

Oh thank you, thank you Pam. You know how vast my walls are...this is such a great post chugging full of ideas! I especially love the front door pic, but mostly because of the moldings...to die for!!!

René said...

Great inspiration! High ceilings can be tough -- makes me thankful for our tiny munchkin house :).

René said...

Great inspiration! High ceilings can be tough -- makes me thankful for our tiny munchkin house :).

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I like your ideas. I wish this was a problem I had. Sadly, I only have 8' ceilings.

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Great ideas for large walls...they can be a pain and hard to decorate...

Kimberly Lemmon said...

My fave is the oversized chandelier - and the oversized mirrors. Big is your friend!

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

Great post - I have a friend who is struggling with decorating with high ceilings so I will pass your post her way. My ceilings are a whopping 7'6" in most of my house so no such problems :-)

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover