Monday, July 27, 2015

DIY Graphic Nailhead Ceiling


Hey friends, hope you spent some time over the weekend soaking up summer, as it is
 flying by! We only have three more weeks before school starts. : (
I'm on a roll, finally sharing tutorials from Another Craigslist Bedroom Makeover Reveal,
  from the One Room Challenge a couple months ago. Last week I shared the 
Anthropologie Knock Off - DIY Weathered Gray Dresser
 and today the Graphic Nailhead Ceiling. My clients' tray ceiling was the perfect backdrop
 for a statement and, of course, one of my favorite ideas was a
  Nailhead Ceiling similar to my dining room that I DIYed a few years ago,
 and they were game.  

(Btw, I love how the ceiling pattern plays off the bases of the benches.)

Since we were working with a large space with awkward angles and a ceiling fan
off center I knew a repeating pattern may end up looking off balance, and being a
 nightmare. I had hoped to come up with something random that wouldn't draw attention to
 the angles. This graphic wallpaper was the ticket!! Our goal was to create a more open
 and less busy pattern.  


PRODUCT

 French Natural Nail Head Trim - 36 yd rolls @ $33 ea. x 2.5 rolls  = $82.00
1 Box of Nails @ $20 

TOTAL $102.00

 Here is an online source, DIY Upholstery Supply, 
we purchased ours locally at Western Upholstery Supply in Denver. 

For reference our room is 21.5' x 16'

PROCEDURE

The nailheads come in a roll, every fifth nailhead is open to secure the strip with a 
nail. We found they easily pressed into the drywall ceiling in most places. They also
 easily cut apart when you reach a stopping point.  


We started by outlining the perimeter of the ceiling and then creating our random pattern
 inside the border .  


To create the pattern we began with a couple longer perpendicular strips and
intersected smaller strips from those lines.  


And just kept going.
We worked in large sections and would get down from our ladders to look at the pattern
 from different spots in the room (as you get a different perspective) to determine the 
direction of the next few strips. It was truly random, but looked best when we varied the size
 of the spaces, for example if we created a large triangle we would aim for a smaller one or 
different shape next to it, or if we ended up with a wide space, we'd try for something
 narrower next to it. 


At first we simply held the strip up to the ceiling and when we had it situated in a direction
we liked we began nailing, but some of our lines were ending up not quite as straight as 
we liked. We found by using a yardstick and lightly drawing a pencil line to use as a guide
to align the strips it solved the problem.  


It took my client and I about 7 hours and then she and her husband finished up
that evening in another couple hours. And NO, our necks didn't hurt, neither of us
were even sore the next day, except my thumb was numb for a couple days after from
pushing the nailheads into the drywall. It isn't hard, but a LOT of climbing up and 
down ladders. We also stood on a long dresser and moved it around the room as we
 progressed. I highly recommend doing it with someone fun, the time passes quickly
 and you'll get in lots of girl talk!        



If you'd like to check out a similar look and tutorial for creating a pattern my
 dining room ceiling here and here was a fun project that I did when I first started
 blogging, so please excuse the bad photos and styling...cringe! :) 




12 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

so incredible! i love how it turned out and your vision for it- i never would have thought of that!

Jen (House of Ruby Jean) said...

I love this Pam!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

This is totally amazing. Looks like tons of work, but so worth it.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

AMAZING!!!!!!
xo
Patty

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

So, so cool. I totally love the look of this!

Unknown said...

So cool and it makes such a statement! Add "Master of Ceilings" to your list of titles! BOTB!

Vel Criste said...

So in love with this ceiling, how I wish I had your patience to do this for my own ceiling!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Your dining room ceiling is one of my all-time favorite projects of yours! This one is amazing, too. I love the asymmetrical pattern!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Cool...did your neck get tired though?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This and your dining room are favorites of mine! And I love spontaneous and random- actually looks like my kind of fun! Hope you're having a great summer- it is going too fast! Xo Nancy

Sameena Malik said...

Woah! This is so unique and attractive. I love this idea, It changed the whole room appearance. I am thinking to change my top digital marketing company in Karachi walls to it.

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover