Sunday, June 17, 2012

the transformation...kitchen

Hope you all had a great weekend.
We're still crossing things off our Summer Bucket list, yesterday we had a big family
 BBQ at our house to celebrate the awesome dads!

Remember when I started showing you the transformation of our home,
if you want to catch up you can check these two previous posts: 
it was love at first sight (exterior)  here
transformation...chapter 2  (family room fireplace and built-ins) here.

I thought it was time to share our lovely kitchen...

MOVE-IN DAY - 16 YEARS AGO


AFTER - BUT BEFORE THE MAJOR REMODEL

I was DIYer long ago...I couldn't wait to paint those cabinets white!
I ripped out the dropped ceiling one day and then we lived
with a flattering overhead fluorescent fixture for years.
I didn't want to do much because I knew a major remodel was
right around the corner 10 years later...seriously?!


SINK OVER LOOKING THE BACKYARD


We changed out the sink and faucet, everyone else was doing nickel,
I didn't care I loved gold even then. We kept the original tile back splash and
white and gold speckled formica counter top.


MORE LOVELINESS


In order to open up the kitchen a bit we inserted glass into the existing cabinet doors.
Anyone else sponge paint their walls back then?
I specifically bought the refrigerator with the intent it would go in the basement,
 (you know right after the remodel)
and it would perfectly accommodate large trays for parties.
I was so proud of my first Ballard knock off - the chalkboard!


View into the family room, all of the walls and that window are gone now.


It's tough to see (which reminds me, I apologize for the horrible photos, whoever knew
I'd be blogging) but, beyond the counter is my dining room! The tulips are sitting on the table
and there are only two chairs on the far side, because both chairs and barstools wouldn't fit
next to the counter - check the first photo.  


10 YEARS LATER...I'd never seen anything more beautiful!


To be continued...



27 comments:

L o v e l y t h i n g s said...

So exciting! At least you have before photos...It's going to be worth the wait!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it is not just us who take 10 years to get around to things! It's difficult to think of the dark wood and the mustard-coloured appliances being fashionable, but it was a classic colour combination. I cannot wait to see what you did.

Danielle said...

Wow! What a transformation. Can't wait to see the final one! Can't believe you didn't want to keep the mustard fridge and oven (LOL).

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

How exciting! I'm wanting to put glass inserts in some of my cabinets. Can you point me to a how-to resource?

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I can't wait to see more Pam!!

Anonymous said...

Girl, you got vision! We drive by houses like your "before picture" and I always tell my husband we should buy it for our retirement project. I can't believe the difference in the kitchen. I love that you kept what you liked and just changed what had to be done. Looking forward to the new changes.

Unknown said...

Fun! Love hearing about the transformation of your darling home! What you did to make it livable in the short(long)term before the major remodel was perfect and trans-formative.

Cassie Bustamante said...

YAHOO! i can't wait to see where this goes!!!

Beth Dunn said...

I'm about to redo my bathroom and It is so over due. Can't wait to see more!
xoxo
SC

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

Oh, you leave me hanging! Can't wait to see the rest, I just know its wonderful!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

:) oh that lovely 'harvest gold' appliance color!! My Mom had that in her house - built new in the very early 70's! The white and glass made a huge difference - I could live with that for 10 year ;)
Can't wait to see the rest!

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

I love seeing the process! I have been a DIYer since there was a blog, channel, or even an industry! Can't wait to see the finished!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for part two!

Lori said...

You have amazing vision! The white cabinets with glass made a world of difference. Thanks for the inspiration to keeping pushing on! What a cliff hanger, can't wait to see part 2.

René said...

Now that isn't nice to leave us hanging like this :). Can't wait to see it Pam!

Stacy CUrran said...

Oh you're such a tease!!! I am SO excited to see the transformation - I KNOW it's going to be amazing!
Stacy

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your right it looks amazing already!

Dee

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AMAZING!!!! WOW!!!! can't wait to see the next... : ) hugs...

Dana Frieling said...

Wow. Wow, wow. Wow, wow, wow. Enough said!

Leslie said...

Pam,

I SO appreciate the amount of effort/work you've put in to your kitchen. We are constantly in a state of upgrade.. slow and steady and lots of patience. Can't wait to see more!

Glad to here you had some bbq time this weekend!

Holly Gruszka said...

That is really something Pam - and you did a lot just to bring it up to speed for the time being that really made it pretty and open and airy. I love seeing this type of before before and after updates.

designchic said...

Oh my gosh...you have got to be so excited!! Can't wait to follow along on the transformation~

A room with a view said...

This looks promising and very exciting! Reminds me of my kitchen remodel except I do not have many 'before' pics.

Keeping It Cozy said...

I can't wait to see the transformation! I know it will be beautiful.

Amber B (Simple Dwellings) said...

Wow- it will be amazing! A fresh start to choose all of the fixtures and colors. How fun! :)

Hyphen Interiors said...

Awesome post! Ended with a cliff hanger. Can't wait to see - that's one major remodel. How exciting!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

This post has me feeling like I might actually get to my kitchen remodel one day….after seeing how you persevered and made your kitchen prettier and functional until the day you could demo it - and then 10 years later get what you really wanted - I might have it in me to live with the bologna counter tops for a few more years! Thanks for giving me a little hope, Pam!!

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover