Tuesday, July 16, 2013

using colored mats for a unique look...

I'm always on the hunt for ideas that make a room a tad more unique, here is an easy one.  
White is by far the most popular mat choice when framing artwork.
Check out the framed prints, maps and photos below, by simply using a not-so-typical
 mat color you can create an interesting, bold statement.
No need to purchase new mats, simply paint your existing ones.

White frames enhance the orange mats, gorgeous contrast with the dark walls, too ...

 House of Turquoise

White walls and frames intensify the blue mats...

 bdmatboard.com

A neutral color scheme of tan, taupe and gray mats framing these maps look timeless...

 Mary Sherwood Lifestyles

A dramatic statement,  mats and fabric of the same color on this wall...

 House Beautiful

A charming collection is unified with the gold mats...

Better Homes & Gardens

Traditional prints matted in a color complimenting the furnishings...

Martha Stewart 

Large pink mats give this space a modern touch keeping it from being overly sweet...

sarahbarksdaledesign.com

Look around, do you have any colored mats?
Not one in my house, I think I need to remedy that!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

This had me confused initially, because I was expecting to see floor covering when you mentioned mats - here they are picture mounts. Yes, we have different coloured ones. Husband is an Interior Designer and will often change original mounts, which usually results in enhancing the picture.

Danielle said...

Love these ideas. x

Lori said...

Such a crisp, fresh look. I need to get painting some mats!

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

Love the mats. I have painted mine already but only in clean white. Might have to try some color though too.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

The color of a mat can completely change the look of a picture. I do have a bunch of colored mats, they are great for pulling an accent color into a room - I especially love that grouping of the orange mats. They look great en masse!

Unknown said...

Fantastic really, but sometimes it becomes all about the mats! I think it's a great color move when you are needing more color, then you can keep the art simple inside them. Im with you, I have all white and ivory mats in my house but I LOVE that first image!
xo Nancy

Cassie Bustamante said...

these are fabulous! i love the blue mats, of course!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

I love this idea!
Always loving something new!

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

I want to do this in our master bedroom soon :) xo Kristin

Dwellings by DeVore said...

I love colored mats and the colors in that first picture are so fun, such a unique combination!

Calypso In The Country said...

The colored mats really do make an impact. Most of mine are white around here but now you have me thinking!
-Shelley

Libby said...

Very, very good ideas here! I love the colored mats but oh the decisions that would have to be made! I'm looking for new ideas for my office/studio, so I will pin some of these for reference. Thanks

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

mat color totally makes a difference on the piece and the room. This is a great roundup of examples.

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

hmmmm haven't thought about adding colored mats in awhile ... thanks for refreshing my memory! Love all your pics!

Carrie said...

Such a great idea, and I love that you can just paint white mats. Why didn't I think of that?! I'm really loving the mix in the Mary Sherwood room. :)

Unknown said...

Inspired by these great photos...ready to pull out my paintbrush!

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover