"I can't wait to see it!"
You're all SO kind and patient! You've written that comment over and over
and I keep extending my deadline for finishing with every new diy I think of.
I hadn't intended on an upholstered headboard, but I happened to come across
one of my all time favorite fabrics, a glen plaid suiting, the salesperson said it was from last
year on sale for $8/yd. When I went to pay it was $1.50/yd. - CRAZY! I told them I thought
it was an error (the thought of bad karma scares me, I'm totally honest).
They said it was on clearance! Woo hoo!
A pillow, the glen plaid and a tweed fabric I chose to re-cover a lamp shade.
Ikea Nightstands and Cabinet above bed
A gray coverlet to go under the duvet and artwork above each nightstand
is still to come...
I don't have the headboard secured to the wall yet, I think it needs to be raised a tad.
I thought I was finished, but I had a few supplies left over from my nail head
ceiling project here, and checked it out to see...yep, just what it needs.
This photo is a truer representation of the color (Behr Mined Coal).
We found this lamp on sale at Lowes a couple of days ago for $8.94. I recovered the
tan shade with a tweed. I like the round drum shade, I felt like the room needed some
curves with all the straight lines.
Surprise! Look what we carted home this morning, it's going in the space above
next to the chair and lamp. We decided it would be easier to walk it home, Detail Boy
was thoroughly embarrassed that someone may see us walking with a stump.
I couldn't help but wave at a couple of cars going by! :)
I think it needs a little weathering, has anyone tried that?
A gallery wall still to come...
Here is a brief rundown of how I made the headboard, but there are a multitude of
great tutorials online.
For the headboard
we Mr. Simple cut a piece of particle board we had in the garage to our
desired size for a twin bed.
I cut 3" foam, using a serrated bread knife (an electric knife works well, too) to fit
the particle board.
See what a great cut it makes.
I followed the instructions on Tacky Spray to adhere the foam to particle board.
Covered it with batting, and secured it to the back using my staple gun.
Then did the same with the fabric, being sure to keep the the lines in the plaid pattern
straight. A solid or random print fabric is much more forgiving. Begin by putting a couple
staples in the top, then move to the bottom, then right side, then left side, working your way
around the headboard while keeping the fabric taut. Then go back and fill in with staples
using the same procedure.
That was it for photos - I think I was tired when finishing this up last night.