Tuesday, July 29, 2014

the agony of a craigslist find...


Well, here it is, my Craigslist find that I alluded to in my last post,
it left me reeling when it was sold out from under me!
   Isn't it amazing? The thought of it in our living room paired with modern pieces had
 me on cloud nine, SO excited, I was sending my friends pics telling them I was picking
 it up tomorrow!
I was finished obsessing over it until I just saw this photo again. :(  


  It popped up on Saturday night with no information other than $150 for the sofa and
 two antique chairs, I immediately emailed and asked for the dimensions and condition, it
 looked dirty in this photo, I asked if there were any stains, tears, pet stains or smokers. 
She responded no to all, and that it was in excellent condition, they were downsizing. 
And, if I wanted only the sofa it would be $80!!!  

Pam:  "I'll take it, when would be convenient for me to pick it up?" 
Lady: I'm going out for the evening and will be home tomorrow after 4ish,
 please call before coming.
Pam: Great, I'll call at 3:30 and be there at 4:15.  
Lady: See you then, have a nice evening.

Sunday morning after measuring our vehicle I emailed:

Pam: I'm not 100% sure if it will fit in our SUV because of the curve, by chance do
 you have a truck, I'd be happy to pay you to deliver. If not, I'll rent a truck.

No reply all day.
 I arranged for a truck rental, and planned to pick it up after reaching her.

3:30 I called to say I was leaving, no answer so I left a voicemail.

4:30 Called again, no answer, left another voicemail.

4:45 Called again
Lady:  Someone else is taking it now, you said you didn't have a way to pick it up.
Pam: Bad Karma is coming your way! (I couldn't help it)

Some inspiration I was smitten with when I thought it was going to live at my house! 




TIP:

It's risky not knowing who you're dealing with on Craigslist, I don't feel comfortable
handing over the payment for an item with the agreement to pick it up later. There have
 been several occasions where I felt like the item was such a deal that it may get sold out
 from under me before I'm able to make arrangements for pick up but I'd like to do whatever
is possible to secure the sale. This came to me yesterday - I'd feel totally comfortable
paying for an item if I took part of it -  sofa, take the cushions, or a piece of furniture, take
 the drawers, a table, take the glass, etc. I don't know if it would have worked in this situation,
but in the future I won't leave anything to chance, if it's something I truly want.  

The hunt is on!  

27 comments:

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Oh, what a bummer! I could totally have seen that in your house. I really wish sellers would play by the rules on CL (or I guess the unwritten rules)! So frustrating sometimes. I'm dying to get my hands on a chandy right now, and for 2 weeks haven't been able to get a response. They only listed email as a contact method, and I've heard nothing. I think my notes are going to their spam box, and they just don't know to check it. Grrr....

Dana Frieling said...

Nooooooo! That's just wrong. :(

Cassie Bustamante said...

OH MAN!!!!!!! i have had similar experiences and they leave me bitter! :(

Scrappy Pink Corner said...

That was not a nice thing to do. She will have bad karma coming her way. But I know how you feel. That has happened to me at yard sales, I have even paid for it and then when I went back to pick up the item, they sold it. They did refund the money, but that was just wrong. Good luck finding another piece. You always seem to find the prettiest pieces. Ana

Andrea said...

Oh no Pam. I hate this happened to you. You usually have the BEST luck with Craigslist. I made arrangements to buy something recently on CL (the price seemed to good to be true). It was! After I had agreed to purchase the item, the seller emailed me to say he had others willing to pay more than he was asking. I ended up getting it, but paid twice as much as the original asking price. Not cool!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

OH, that is just so wrong of her!! So sorry you didn't get it. I hope you find a better one.

nottooshabbymama said...

Oh man....That has happened to me numerous times with awesome Craig's List finds!! Sometimes emails get put directly to trash when them come form Craig's List which also can be so frustrating!! Good Luck in your adventures in finding the perfect sofa!! I'm sure there is the perfect one out there that was meant to be in your livening room!!

Angeldog said...

In the end, don't worry about the loss.....comparing the craiglist sofa to the ones in your inspiration photos, it has a continuous head rest going into the arm rests which dates it considerably. The first sofa with the zebra rug, has very low armrests and a French styling. In the second photo, there are 2 sofas with wing-back sides, also with low arm rests. I think the only way the other sofa could have looked current was to upholster it without the tufting. I have a similar one in storage that has been in my husbands family forever. I'm still trying to figure out how to use it one day, but it will most definitely be reupholstered without the tufting, as in this photo which is very similar to mine: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lVINpGu49JE/T-yzNVz47mI/AAAAAAAARns/O4cbqt2ahhc/s640/tria+giovan+photo.JPG

(hopefully the photo attaches)...........either that or sold to a brothel!

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

Craigslist woes...sometimes it just doesn't work out. Hate that! But it just means something better is out there for you! xoxo

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Oh no, that is horrible!!! I'm so sorry that happened. And you are right, bad karma is coming to that lady. I know a few shops that do that. You pay and take the cushions until you can come and get the rest. Not a bad idea.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my word, this is a sad story. That sofa is gorgeous I am sure you will find something fabulous.

ElevenGables said...

The sofa MUST be full of fleas! or termites! Or worse! ;) Sorry it didn't work out this time. I know the disappointment. xoxo

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

A winner will come your way! This one was not the one!

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

Ugh - the disappointment!!! That is one killer piece of furniture but for your own sanity let's just say it must have reeked of smoke and ben fun of bed bugs. Something better is around the corner, I'm sure!

Scribbler said...

Well this totally sucks. The same thing happened to me with a French enfilade. But then another one turned up which fit my space better anyway. Hang in there -- there is one out there with your name on it.

Unknown said...

WOW! Some people are amazing. I once sold a washing machine on craigslist...it work perfectly when I had last used it. I got a call saying it wouldn't drain and they didn't want it. After some firm words, they demanded their money back and that we go pick it up. I ended up giving it to a family member and it worked fine (for a while anyway). Frustrating.

Hope a great sofa comes your way soon!!!

Mary said...

Tell yourself it had bedbugs.
There's a better one out there waiting for you.

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Ugh - sorry this slipped away. What a jerk - you clearly did not say you had no way to take it!

The Bold Abode said...

Man, that stinks! But maybe that's leaving the door open for something even better. You never know!

pam {simple details} said...

Angeldog - That sofa is stunning, I love the upholstery! Hopefully you can find a way to use yours, especially with it being in the family! Thanks for the tips on the style, too!

Dwellings by DeVore said...

oh no, that stinks :( You always find the best stuff though, I'm sure you'll stumble upon another great sofa!

PolkaDottyPlace said...

How rude!! I feel like she definitely should have taken your phone calls and not been so hasty to find a second buyer. I hope there's a better sofa out there waiting for you :)

Holly Gruszka said...

What a crock!! That stinks Pam but for the better hopefully. You even went to all the trouble of getting a truck and she didn't even have the courtesy to contact you back. Big bummer but I'm excited to see what you find that trumps this x10!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

How awful !!!...yes, bad karma her way!...however, I always have to think when something like that happens to me, I feel "it was meant to be" and something better will come along...so I hope that will be the case for you..I am sure it will, as you have good karma!!!

Vel Criste said...

So sad for you Pam, but hey, you win some, you loose some, I'm sure with your luck and good eye, you'll find something equally fabulous!

Brenda said...

It wasn't meant to be... and there is a better one out there for you! How disappointing but I feel certain that when that better one comes along you'll be glad that you weren't saddled with this one. I recently found a desk chair on Craigslist. It was bamboo/wicker on wheels with a nice custom cushion ($25.00!). Texted back and forth with the seller about availability, condition, etc. Set up a time to go pick it up (about 40 minutes away). It was at the seller's storage unit, and I sent her a text four times asking for directions. She would respond with other information but not the address. Since we didn't know where to go we couldn't keep the pick up appointment. Later that same day I received a text from her apologizing for not showing up for the appointment because she completely forgot. Perhaps she's related to your couch seller? It wasn't meant to be.

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure everyone in my city takes all their GOOD stuff and drops it off in people's homes in Denver, and then (since those people didn't pay for the stuff), they put it on Craigslist for next to nothing.
Whenever I look on Craigslist I NEVER find anything that approaches what you find, and even the minimally acceptable stuff is waaaaaay overpriced.
Green with envy

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover